Author Topic: Family Historian Help  (Read 1329 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Historian Help
« on: Tuesday 29 June 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello!

So i'm trying to create a PDF of a family tree to send off to the printers but i'm having a few problems... the direct ancestor always duplicates to the side with a dotted line rather then in the original place (i hope this makes sense)

Can anyone advise on how to stop this from happening?
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian Help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
What method did you use as I can't seem to create the same problem?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
What method did you use as I can't seem to create the same problem?

I selected CHARTS on the toolbar and then ALL RELATIVES  ??? ???
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:42 BST (UK) »
I have got one diagram where my direct ancestors are brought down just below their siblings to show that they married but they aren't duplicated.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
I selected the root person, then clicked on 'all relatives' from the top bar.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello!

So i'm trying to create a PDF of a family tree to send off to the printers but i'm having a few problems... the direct ancestor always duplicates to the side with a dotted line rather then in the original place (i hope this makes sense)

Can anyone advise on how to stop this from happening?

If it helps, I don't think it is duplication as such, but rather a layout design feature.

JJT is the oldest child (b.1809) so they want to place him on the left.  But to display his marriage and father-in-law without crossing lines he needs to be furthest right. So the "James John Taylor" on the left is just a placeholder (with no details), linked by the dotted line to where his information and marriage are actually displayed on the right.

If so, then I would be looking for some kind of option under 'CHARTS' to either avoid crossing lines, or to always have the placement of direct ancestors to the right, and then switch it off.

You could test my theory by temporarily changing JJT's DoB to 1817 (making his natural place furthest right) to see whether the 'duplication' and dotted line then disappear.  That way you'll know for sure why it is happening, even if there is no option to change it.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
Of course it's a layout issue, Nick.

Do you use Family Historian?

Littlefacey - who did you use as your base person?

Gadget

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
The dotted "crossing lines" only appear in All Relatives Diagrams and are dependent on each individual tree. In your example James John TAYLOR, being the youngest child of John & Phoebe, is correctly placed to the left of his younger siblings. But FH has determined that to link him to his wife in that location would, due to other individuals in the tree and their relationships, mean that the diagram would need a much larger area to be displayed in, and may become more complex and difficult to visualise in other ways. So it creates a "proxy box" as the original location for James, and moves his primary box to a suitable location where he can be placed next to his wife, her ancestors and their children without greatly increasing the overall size of the diagram.

If you had created the chart with the individuals displayed within their own boxes, you would find that the box for James in its original location to the left of his siblings would be greyed out (a proxy box), with the connecting line (the dotted line) linking it to a fully formed box next to his wife. By not displaying the individuals within boxes, the proxy and new locations for James are less obvious.

Crossing lines only appear in All Relatives diagrams, and I don't think they can be turned off. It might be possible to eliminate the crossing line by experimenting with moving James to a different location (dragging his "box" around the diagram) but you may find that has other more undesirable consequences.

Another alternative would be to use the Ancestor and Descendant diagram, rather than the All Relatives Diagram. It rather depends on the extent of the tree you are trying to show.

If you want expert help with FH, you might want to try the Family Historian User Group forum at https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/index.php
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
Check your Diagram options. Are they like this: