Author Topic: Parish registers LENAHAN  (Read 2136 times)

Offline daneboy55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish registers LENAHAN
« on: Tuesday 29 June 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth place of a man called Daniel Lenahan b~1850.  His parents names are listed on his death certificate in 1911 as Daniel Lenahan and Mary Delany.  He traveled to the USA ~1865 and settled in Jersey City NJ.  I have used Ancestry, RootsIreland, IrishGeneology, etc to search for him and his parents.  I can't find any marriage certificate for the parents or a an obvious matching birth certificate for him.  I can't find his passage to the USA in 1865.  He starts showing up in USA census data in late 1800s.

I have taken Ancestry DNA test along with my uncle and sister.  We have about 30 DNA matches containing the surname “Lenahan” (or similar, in fact, many different spellings!) in their family trees with birth places in Ireland.  The results are clustered in four counties, Cork, Claire, Limerick, and Kerry.

I'd love to find a grave stone or marriage declaration for Daniel and Mary.  Or a birth certificate for Daniel b~1850.

Daneboy55

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish registers LENAHAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 20:09 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate. Civil registration of Catholic marriages also started in 1864 (non-Catholic marriages from 1845) so this could be why the marriage hasn't shown up in the places you are looking. What you need to search is church records (if they exist)- many Catholic parish registers here (free) but coverage varies according to parish-
https://registers.nli.ie/

Added- duplicate post on CORK board-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=850438.msg7179485#msg7179485
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
It's a long time since I did any passenger list searches and I now find that "Castle Garden" [assenger list arrival search results are gobbledegook, which suggests ancestry or findmy past have bought out the website.   Quite often the names were not spelled correctly by the ship's pursur because of the foreign brogue (dialect).

I'm not a current member of the other NY passenger arrival website of "Ellis Island", which usually gives a ship's manifest of passengers with the name of their contact in New York.

Best Wishes.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
The problem is not finding a Daniel Lenahan arriving at Castle Garden but knowing which, if any, might be the correct one from the many results.
https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/ny-castle-garden-ellis-island/

Ellis Island opened in 1892 but earlier manifests usually give scant details (name, age, occupation, country of origin).

Offline daneboy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 23:35 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to tell which parish registers have already been digitized, allowing us to figure out which registers to hand search?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 07:28 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to tell which parish registers have already been digitized, allowing us to figure out which registers to hand search?

Note aghadowey's reply #1

many Catholic parish registers here (free) but coverage varies according to parish-
https://registers.nli.ie/

These are all the catholic parish registers digitised. Click on the map to see all the Irish counties and their RC parishes.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline daneboy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
I chose the wrong word.  What I meant to ask is "if the registry is digitized, does that mean that it is searchable through services like Ancestry.com"?

Now that I think about it, I guess I can open one of these files and search for the first entry on Ancestry.com to see if it is in their system.  If it is, I can skip the file.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 19:05 BST (UK) »
Not sure that will work as I often can't find baptisms I know are in a particular register when searching Ancestry.

Offline daneboy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Interesting.  So perhaps there are many transcription errors? 

Thanks everyone for your responses!