Author Topic: Sky router change.  (Read 521 times)

Offline o doubghaill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sky router change.
« on: Thursday 01 July 21 11:37 BST (UK) »
I recently had my Sky router updated.  The strength of my computer internet has gone down a lot.  Is it possible to get the signal made stronger on the computer?

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sky router change.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 21 11:45 BST (UK) »
Are you referring to the wireless signal, or the speed of the connection?
It's not at all clear from your question.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
It it is the wireless signal strength you mean, there are now commonly two frequency bands used.

the 2.4 GHz band has been used since the early days of wireless connections. The band is also used for many other devices, such as baby monitors and garage door openers. In many places the band is very crowded.

Because of this , another band, at 5 GHz, has been allocated. This allows higher speeds, but you need both ends to support it. A disadvantage is that the higher frequency signal has a shorter range, and does not get through walls as easily.

So it is possible that your computer has always supported 5 GHz, but the old router only had the 2.4 GHz signal. With a 5 GHz signal now usable, that's what the PC now goes for.

The signal strength may be lower, but the data rate may actually be HIGHER. You would need to actually measure the rate to make sure. There are numerous "Broadband Speed Test" sites which can do this.

If you are actually at the limits of the range, it may be possible to get your PC to prefer the lower frequency, or in some cases to get the router to stop broadcasting on the higher frequency. Some routers even let you have different names (SSIDs) for the high and low frequencies.

Another thing to check is the orientation of the router. The newer signal is more directional, so rotating the router might help.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline o doubghaill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 21 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The signal is now good.