Author Topic: Anybody checked their FTDNA - Update rolling out from today!  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Anybody checked their FTDNA - Update rolling out from today!
« on: Thursday 01 July 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
My Dad's account is updating, and I've just checked - so is mine. Looks more intuitive, though somewhat confused as in my account, the total number of matches was 893 - now it is 5684 (!!!!$£%!!!!). And just to confuse, My Dad's was 7389, and is currently at about 1300?? Dont think it has finished mind you, so I should just be patient and check again tomorrow!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody checked their FTDNA - Update rolling out from today!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 21 07:29 BST (UK) »
Interface looks better but currently I look to have lost a lot of matches.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
3 separate accounts- 30 June
A- 8808     B- 6405     C- 9468
same accounts- 1 July
A- 9762     B- 6387     C- 12,786
So, A gained just over 1100, B lost a few, but C gained over 3300!
Now this morning (2 July)- A & C are same as last night BUT B only has 4240!

Really can't understand how C suddenly got so many more matches. Hopefully it will all settle down soon  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
So far, not impressed. Not finding it intuitive or user friendly.

As example …. Looked at my matches and thought I might add in a few known relationships under “assign relationship” but was taken to a section to upload my family tree or a gedcom, when all I wanted to do was write that a match was “second cousin once removed” or similar. I think a couple of my higher matches have disappeared and the order of some matches seems to have changed. I didn’t take note of numbers of matches, which I wish I had done.  :(

I seem to be continually going round in circles. Looks like a bit of a learning curve, so I probably need to preserve, (if I can be bothered). I thought it was OK before.  :-\

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
If anyone does the survey could they please post the type of questions they ask here so i can decide whether to take it or not. Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 July 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
I am not impressed and it appears not to be very user friendly but it is hiccupping so I'l go back to it in a couple of days and see if it's settled down.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 July 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, as others have said, the match figures ( and paternal/Maternal match numbers),are going up and down quite a bit! Hopefully it will settle down soon, so we can make comment on the stable new version.

On assigning relationships, I believe the situation was like this before, in that they want you to have that person/put that person in your tree.  I think this is partly in order to use those details to try to phase your matches to your maternal &/or paternal sides.

For me the matches seem better, a lot of my top matches were unknown to me and didn't seem to reflect a close link in my tree/genealogy.  Those seem to have disappeared ( well, probably moved further down my list), due to under 6cm segmeents being subtracted from the total cM figure for each match.  This I find helpful.  Known matches are now much nearer the top of my list, and this makes me more confident that the high matches that I have not been able to trace yet, are likely to be real matches.

Any way, I will maybe review how the up date has improved FTDNA, or not, as the case may be! ;), when it has settled down.
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
A comprehensive guide to the changes can be found here:

https://dna-explained.com/2021/07/01/familytreedna-relaunch-new-feature-overview/

Looks like there's more to come too.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 21 15:10 BST (UK) »
Well, I have just discovered a BIG problem- well two problems really.

Kit A and Kit C (see my earlier post) are related to each other and in previous version I was able to put them on each others' family trees so that relationship showed (both on paternal sides). This was the only known match for C although not the closest one. Now when I checked C shows no paternal matches so I searched for A by name (initials & surname) but nothing shows up but other matches with the same surname do. One of the reasons for getting C's DNA was to figure out their mutual connections but this just messes all that up if I can't compare results (luckily had them both on DNA Painter already).

Which brings me to problem #2.

Looking at matches for C using surname for A now shows a match of 14 cm (1 block) for someone with that surname as a middle name (let's call them D). This match appeared, supposedly, on 11 May 2021 but I never saw it when checking new matches every day. Now, here's the problem- D is the 2nd cousin of Kit B (Canadian grandmothers were sisters, middle name is actually that of the doctor who delivered him) and Kit B is not related by blood to A or C.

Think it's time to lie down in a dark room until FTDNA settles down ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!