Author Topic: Fashion at 1941, 1951, 1960 and 1969 weddings.  (Read 991 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fashion at 1941, 1951, 1960 and 1969 weddings.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 July 21 19:30 BST (UK) »
I was never a bridesmaid and very jealous of friends who had lots of relatives getting married at the right time.
As another point, a wedding that I went to as a child in about 1960 had the wedding presents on display.  Cannot remember if that was at the bride's house or reception venue.
Anyone know when that stopped happening?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 July 21 20:55 BST (UK) »
I was never a bridesmaid and very jealous of friends who had lots of relatives getting married at the right time.

Same here.

I had a bridesmaids dress made from parachute silk for a wedding 1947. My present was a silver cross and chain, stolen by a visitor to the house some years later.

Sadly I never was a bridesmaid, I spent the day of the wedding dressed in all my finery, but in bed with measles and pneumonia.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,† Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 July 21 21:04 BST (UK) »
I was never a bridesmaid.

I married in 1964 and I still use some of my presents - a bread board and knife (used every day) and a set of fish knives and forks.

I also received my engagement ring on our 50th wedding anniversary - we had only known each other for 6 months when we married (met in February and married on 1 August).  Married in the Register Office - attendants = me, OH, his parents, his friend and wife, and my friend.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 July 21 22:02 BST (UK) »
They made things to last in those days BumbleB.

I married in 1960 and still have a lot of my wedding presents in constant use. My daughter-in-law has my breadboard, I use my motherís, a wedding present she received in 1940.

I had a big wedding in Church, but all done on a shoestring, with family and friends mucking in, all the more memorable because of their involvement.

Not a fur coat in sight, but then it was in August. ;D
DUNCAN Kent
HORSCROFT Kent.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 July 21 00:40 BST (UK) »
I was a bridesmaid in 1963 aged 12 and was given a gold cross and chain. I still have the cross but on a newer chain and wore it regularly until about 10 years ago when I could no longer manage to do up the fastening. The cross is real gold. We wore long yellow dresses which did nothing for me as I have a sallow complexion. My black very straight hair was curled for the occasion but the curls didnít stay long!

I have a photo of my mother the same year with a borrowed mink stole she was going to wear at some do. In 1969/70 I had a white fur hood, I think it was rabbit. Iíve no idea what happened to it but it had gone by 1972.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 July 21 00:44 BST (UK) »
My parents were married in October 1940 in Liverpool. My father is in his Army uniform, he was in the Royal Signals. My mother wore a dress and a hat.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 July 21 12:29 BST (UK) »
Oh, Gadget, I loved Fenwick's shop in the 60s and once managed to squeeze my budget into letting me purchase a "terrace dress" there, long and slinky with a slit up one side.  Why a "terrace" dress?  I never found out, but it was a roaring success.

Drinks on the terrace at a social event in summer? 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 July 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
As another point, a wedding that I went to as a child in about 1960 had the wedding presents on display.  Cannot remember if that was at the bride's house or reception venue.
Anyone know when that stopped happening?

I remember presents displayed at the reception venue at a relative's wedding in England. Many cousins married 1960s & 1970s. I don't remember whose or when or if there was a present display at more than 1 wedding. A list of presents was included in some wedding reports in newspapers.
A show of presents is/was an important part of a Scottish wedding. (I'm out of touch with modern weddings.) Venue for the show of presents is the bride's home or the home of her parents. It happens on a day or evening in the week prior to the wedding. Daytime if it's weekend, evening if a weekday. It's a female-only event for relatives, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Refreshments are served.
There was a wedding at my church yesterday.  :) Video is on the church website.   
Cowban

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 July 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
I remember when they used to have a show of presents with the donors names before the wedding, or at the reception. It was a custom I disliked,  as much as I disliked the reporting in the paper of who gave what. I felt it pressurised people into spending more than they could afford.

When I got married we didn't display the presents, I kept the identity of the giver private, between them and us.

I also disliked it when, in the eighties some people started  sending out  their wish  list with the invitations. The couple of times that happened to us, we declined the invitation and they didn't get a present either.

When my sons got married, they had note books with a different item on every page, the items ranged in cost to suit every pocket. Only when and if they were asked if they had a wish list, was the person shown the book and invited to tear out the page with the item they would like to give, that way it was anonymous and there was no embarrassment.

These days I believe it is not uncommon for the guests to be expected to pay for their meal at the reception. I'm afraid I'm old fashioned and believe you should stick to what you can afford, not expect others to subsidise your day just so that you can show off.
DUNCAN Kent
HORSCROFT Kent.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex