Author Topic: Fashion at 1941, 1951, 1960 and 1969 weddings.  (Read 1340 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fashion at 1941, 1951, 1960 and 1969 weddings.
« on: Friday 02 July 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
2 queries:

1) At a wedding if the bridesmaid(s) was/were reported in the newspaper as wearing a gold or silver bracelet or necklace, gift of the groom, would it be proper gold (or silver)?

2) If the mother of the bride or groom was wearing a fur coat, fur hat and crocodile accessories, would all those be real?  If just a fur-trimmed collar - what that be real fur?

I have tried google searching, but think I need pointing to a decent historical study of the rise and fall of furs, and wedding gifts, which probably exist but outside my normal searches.

Thank-you

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fashion at 1941, 1951, 1960 and 1969 weddings.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 21 09:33 BST (UK) »
There really is no way of knowing whether the newspaper reports are correct as they were most likely written by one of the family. I would think that they were most likely correct.

When I was a bridesmaid in the 1950s, I was given a silver bracelet. I also remember some women wearing furs and crocodile skin accessories. These were not 'posh' weddings.

I also remember being told by an aunt that  the groom often bought pairs of leather gloves for the respective mothers in the 1930s-40s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know about the bracelets, etc. but I would hazard a guess that they would be genuine gold or silver.

Fur coats, etc. would definitely be genuine fur, even if only rabbit fur.  I've got a fur jacket hanging in my wardrobe - I can't remember when I bought it, but as it was made in Manchester, I'm assuming it was the late 1960's when we moved to Cheadle Hulme.  I also remember that I converted a silver fox stole (complete with head and tail) into a hat/bonnet which fastened under the chin and which appears to have been fashionable in the 1950's when I was a teenager.   
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
Animal fur was a frequent trimming for dressy outfits back then.  My mother wore a mink trimmed suit at my brother's wedding in the 1950s.  Aunt and grandmother dressed up with their fur stoles and mink coats in the 50s and 60s.  I remember buying some crocodile shoes in the mid-1960s (no, not crocs!)  and converting a leopard-type fur collar into a pillbox hat around the same time.  We just never thought about the ethics of wild animal killing back then.  Little girls sometimes wore gloves backed with rabbit fur (but then the rabbit carcases were probably eaten as well, so you could justify that in the same way that calfskin accessories were and still are made from the skin of animals that are killed for food.  Think of sheepskin rugs, too, pigskin bags, the American Indians' deerskin clothing and the Inuits' sealskin outfits.)  When my aunt died in the 1980s I couldn't give away her mink coat and later when I was working in a charity shop we had a woman who accepted fur coats to be exported to Russia and other East-European countries, where fur coats were accepted for their warmth.

I'm pretty sure that the silver or gold items would have been genuine silver and gold.  I received a silver charm bracelet to which I added so many charms, given to me as birthday or Christmas presents, that it became almost too heavy to wear.

1941 weddings were often low-budget affairs, with servicemen using their leave to get married at short notice.  Some of my family brides from that time often wore a suit and of course there are tales of wedding dresses being made from parachute silk or existing wedding dresses, usually from another family member, being altered to fit a new bride.

p.s. At my wedding in 1968 there wasn't a trace of fur to be seen.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
In the first 9 weddings that I have looked at in 1969, in January and February, the mothers' outfits have been described for 11 of them, and 6 were wearing fur in some form.

My obvious next research must be when did artificial fur become popular?

I wonder how many of the bridesmaids kept their gifts. (Gadget?)

Hi, BumbleB,  I used to go to school in Cheadle Hulme.  We moved from Hertfordshire, where my sister and I had both been going to a mixed school, to Cheshire, and refused to go to the nearest school in Wilmslow as it was single-sex.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 July 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi chempat.  Our official address was C H but we actually lived nearer to Bramhall - the Hursthead estate between Ack Lane and Acre Lane, and not too far from where George Best lived.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 July 21 14:30 BST (UK) »

Two of my aunts appear in 1950s wedding photographs wearing fur coats . Another has a fox fur stole, the ones with the heads and feet on. Again in the early 50’s four weddings and all the brides are wearing the same dress, it was passed around the family. The brides just wore different head dresses.

I myself had a faux fur coat in the early 1970’s, it was supposed to look like pony :o
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

I remember seeing pictures of the outside of his house, found an article:

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/george-best-house

Sorry, suey, I agree about the pony, and laughed.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
I don't have my bracelet anymore - I think an 8 year old's wrist just grew or I lost it when moving to London.  I do recall having a ? real fur bonnet in the  mid-1960s and a faux fur coat in 1968.

I married in 1967 and wore a cream wool and silk mini dress (from Fenwick in Bond Street)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***