Author Topic: Mysterious married couple (Brick wall)  (Read 3400 times)

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mysterious married couple (Brick wall)
« on: Friday 02 July 21 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am still searching for the mysterious James Gilbanks allegedly born 1816 according to 41/51/61/71 census'.

since my last post regarding him ( https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=838822.0 )
I have established the 1841 Census kindly linked by another roots user (thank you Trish  :) ) that this is the same man.  However my problem is I still cant find a marriage between him and his wife Ann Reid born c1821 Roxburgh.

According to these Census' he was born Threlkeld, Matterdale and Patterdale area. I believe these are fairly close together, but I have yet to find anything signifying a baptism likewise I have not been able to find a marriage although I have no idea where they may have married.

On the 1841 Census James Gilbanks is in St Bee's as a Linen Bleacher, in 1851 James and his wife and son are in Penrith workhouse stating they are married. His wife on this is listed as Hannah not Ann which adds confusion as on their sons birth cert she is listed as Hannah. However his Baptism she is listed as Ann. This is the only time the name Hannah is used so it may have been an error of her name being misheard.

I have attempted to search for Ann Reid (also using the name Hannah) to no avail. However my main focus is finding a marriage or a baptism for James currently in order to establish who his parents are.

I do hope I don't bore you all with my posts, I do look elsewhere and try other ways to research but I can never seem to figure this one out! I did an Ancestry DNA test some time ago, although I have matches on my paternal side that are further back than James they are either inactive or dont reply.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious married couple (Brick wall)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they never married?  Or perhaps they married much later than 1851?

My friends grandparents had their first child in 1889 but only married in 1915

On the birth cert you mention - is she shown as Hannah Reid or as Hannah Gilbanks nee Reid
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
His wife on this is listed as Hannah not Ann which adds confusion as on their sons birth cert she is listed as Hannah. However his Baptism she is listed as Ann. This is the only time the name Hannah is used so it may have been an error of her name being misheard.

I have seen several examples of people whose given name was Hannah also being called Ann or Annie.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they never married?  Or perhaps they married much later than 1851?

My friends grandparents had their first child in 1889 but only married in 1915

On the birth cert you mention - is she shown as Hannah Reid or as Hannah Gilbanks nee Reid

That is all I can come up with that they never married or a possible border marriage? She is shown on the birth cert as Hannah Gilbanks Formerly Reid

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 21 11:23 BST (UK) »
His wife on this is listed as Hannah not Ann which adds confusion as on their sons birth cert she is listed as Hannah. However his Baptism she is listed as Ann. This is the only time the name Hannah is used so it may have been an error of her name being misheard.

I have seen several examples of people whose given name was Hannah also being called Ann or Annie.

I do speculate regarding this, 1851 census and her sons birth cert are the only two things of which she is listed as Hannah that I can find, otherwise she is named as Ann, Anne, Annie etc

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at Annie Reid born 1st november 1821 in Hawick, Roxburgh, parents George Reid & Christian Turnbull?
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 July 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
There is also an Ann Reid baptised 19th march 1920 in Kelso Roxburgh, parents Thomas Reid & Mary Hunter.

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
In Matterdale Thomas & Elizabeth Gillbanks had 5 children baptised George 1801, John 1806, Joseph 1806, Mary 1809 & Benjamin 813, in later census's he called himself John so perhaps this family is worth a look.

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
There is also an Ann Reid baptised 19th march 1920 in Kelso Roxburgh, parents Thomas Reid & Mary Hunter.

I have had a look at both of the ones you have suggested, they are the only two I suspect could be her. My issue being without a marriage between Ann and James I have no way of knowing for sure, however a marriage doesn't seem possible to find as I have been searching for some time with no joy