Author Topic: Ellen Charnley, nee Smart  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Charnley, nee Smart
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:15 BST (UK) »

James left a will, his executor was his brother Mark of Roxburgh.

Mark Sprott Woodger of Riddell Lilliesleaf, County Roxburgh, coachman, brother & next of kin.
Curious about "Riddell Lilliesleaf" as I've never heard of the place (I live in S. Scotland) I looked it up. Lilliesleaf is a little place, had to enlarge map to find it, nearest town Selkirk. Riddell House was a mansion with a medieval tower. Owned by a family named Sprott in late 19th century. Major-General Sprott erected a folly on the estate 1885. A bell at the parish church was presented by Mr Edward Sprott, son of the late Mr Mark Sprott of Riddell.
When looking for mentions of James Woodger in Wigan newspapers I noticed another Woodger who was a cab proprietor. There was an advert about him giving up his cabs in 1870s. Perhaps a relative of James?
Cowban

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, it looks as though the Sprotts probably have a story as well.

I am ploughing through  . . .
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 July 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Not much progress because I have been making quilts myself! But two wills have been delivered.

James Woodger's is not, in fact, a will, but letters of administration, dated 2nd of December 1889.  awarded to Mark Sprott Woodger, coachman of Riddell, Lilliesleaf, his natural and lawful brother and one of his next of kin. Sureties were his brother Charles Woodger of Ash Tree Cottage, Gattonside, Melrose, Overseer of a landed estate, and Henry Booth Waring of 9, Water Street, Chorley, Traveller in the Boot . . . and there the copy is cut off. I will try to find out who Henry is. I am not sure what a surety is. It also says James is of 55 Standishgate, a widower without children or parent. It also says James died on 9th July 1889, and he had no leaseholds. The estate was worth £396.5.11 gross.

The other will is Ella's daughter Elizabeth, of 23 Kenyon Road. She left money to her siblings and nieces, money to various Catholic charities,  and two properties: 23 and 25 Kenyon Rd, all furniture and remaining property and money to her sister Gertrude, who was also the executor. Gross value was £10027.11.

So, from one generation to the next, they made a bit of money.

Harlesmswife
Kent. Spendiff

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 July 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
It's disappointing James didn't leave a will.
Charles Woodger was the name of the cab proprietor in Wigan whom I mentioned in reply #27. "Wigan Observer" has a notice of auction of his horses August 1876.
Elizabeth's will gives you some more recent descendants to work on.
There may be obituaries of Elizabeth or her siblings in newspapers.
*Which church would the Charnley family have attended? They may have been on photos of church functions e.g. Whit Walks. There may be someone in the parish who knows/knew the family.

*Added. Probably St. John or St. Mary when they lived in Kenyon Road. Both churches are near Standishgate. St. John is on Facebook. (Photo of unknown priest to id this month.) Amalgamated with St. William, Ince. St. William has a website with a link to St. Mary parish newsletter + contacts.
St. Joseph, Caroline St. is closed.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 July 21 18:08 BST (UK) »

The other will is Ella's daughter Elizabeth, of 23 Kenyon Road. She left .....  two properties: 23 and 25 Kenyon Rd, all furniture and remaining property and money to her sister Gertrude, who was also the executor. Gross value was £10027.11.

Current house price estimates:
23 Kenyon Rd. Estimated £170,000-£188,000
25 Kenyon Rd. 4 bed semi Estimate £180,000-£199,000; last sold 2003 £93,000
Cowban

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 August 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just found this thread, I've been researching two of my great great uncles, Albert and Edwin Woodger, who ran a drapers buisness in Newcastle for almost 60 years between 1903 and sometime around 1959 ish.

I wonder if there is any connection between the men?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 August 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Shiny1

I think Woodger is an unusual name, so there may be a connection. Our James died in 1889, so if there is a connection it may be a common ancestor. Or your Woodgers may be descended from one of James's brothers. He was from Roxburgh, so someone may have migrated to Newcastle. I haven't really looked at James's ancestors because I was really only interested in Ellen, until I realised that James's death might be the reason the quilt was unfinished. I don't have my notes with me at the moment, but I shall have a look and see what I noted about James's relatives.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I have had a look at my notes.
James Woodger was born 12 May 1836, Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh, parents John and Helen.
His Letters of Administration say he had no child or parent, so your Woodgers, Michael, were not direct descendants. He had at least one brother, Mark Sprott Woodger, to whom the letters of admin were awarded. It says he is 'one of' the next of kin. Also, as 'surety' to the letters of administration, is Charles Woodger, but it doesn't say his relationship. So, if you can connect with any of them, there is a connection to drapers in Newcastle.

Incidentally, I see you are interested in Hall of North Shields. My husband's Grandmother was Elizabeth Hall, born, North Shields, 1881, her father was William and the ancestors were from Alnwick way. Now, connections there would be too much of a coincidence.
Kent. Spendiff

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 12 August 21 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again to everyone

I have now sent my report on Ellen Smart/Charnley to the curator of the Quilters Guild Museum Collection. She has been on holiday, which has delayed me writing this email. If any of you would like a copy of the report, please send me a PM with an email address and I will send it to you. I had to get the curator's permission to do that, but she is ok with it provided the Guild gets a proper mention.

So, thank you again for the help and ideas,

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff