Author Topic: please can anyone translate a few latin documents  (Read 2109 times)

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents -willing to pay reasonable fee
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 14:03 BST (UK) »
Having had the translation I checked the feet of fines Yorks. Arch. Society volume 52 and found this!!

25. Westminster. Quindene of Hilary, 50 Edw. Ill, 1376.
Quindene of Easter, 50 Edw. Ill, 1376. Robert de Anlaghby of Kyngeston-on-Hull, “ litster,” quer., Thomas son of Peter Nuttel, knight \militis], and Avice his wife, def., of 1 messuage in Kyngeston-on-Hull : To hold to Robert and his heirs ; he gave 20 marks. Release by Thomas and Avice for themselves and the heirs of Avice.

So I went back to the index of the manuscripts (Dodsworth MS vol I in Bodleian library) and there it says on the same folio as Robert, is Amicia Nuttel and Thomas Nuttel kt. But no Robert de Anlaghby only Robert de Dulaghby.

My dilemma now is which one to believe regarding ROBERT? there is a place in Hull called Analby.

But I do have a date!

Once again thank you all very much appreciate your help.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents -willing to pay reasonable fee
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
The first letter of the name as written in Dodsworth’s copy is definitely D and not A, but Dodsworth’s transcription of the record is obviously many years later, and we don’t know his source.

I would check the source reference given in the YAS transcription – they have probably used the original court records – and go with that. It makes good sense to me that Robert would be ‘of Anlaghby’ [= Anlaby].

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
Dodsworth used mainly the cartularies of priories and churches held during his time by Lord Fairfax.

the YAS book used the feet of fines held in Public record offices.

I am with you on this Robert de Analby is what I am going with.

thank you again

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
Please can you confirm that this one is a charter of land being gifted to Kirkham priory by Walter Sowerbi (Sowerby) with Henry Duggleby as witness to same.

thank you

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 06:18 BST (UK) »
In a general sense it does match your description.  It appears to be a later copy and in part is quite hard to read.

Nevertheless the essentials appear to be:

Carta Walt(e)ri de Saurebi

...Walter(u)m de Saurebi....concessise & dedisse...ecclesie de sancte Trinitatis de Kirkaham...unu(m) toftum cu(m) crofti [?] adiacente in Kirkebi in Crandala cu(m) omnibus p(er)tin(entiis)...q(uo)d Thomas fil(ius) Norman(i) tenuit...

Charter of Walter de Saurebi

...Walter de Saurebi...has granted and given...to the church of Saint Trinity of Kirkaham...one toft with a croft [?] adjoining in Kirkebi in Crandala with all appurtenances...which Thomas the son of Norman holds...

The witness name is trickier.  There's a Henrico de _____gilbi.  (Near the end of the second last line.)

It may begin with D but I'm not at all sure.  The letters in between are ambiguous.

By the way, there's also a witness named Thoma _____gilesbi.  In this case the initial is most likely to be T.

ADDED:

For comparison there's a name which I think is Drogone as the penultimate word of the third last line.

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 July 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this!

These are copies made by Roger Dodsworth in 17th century from much earler originals and cartularies held by Lord Fairfax.

Dodsworths manuscripts were later indexed by Dugdale and I worked from the index which said henry de Dingelby (another variant of Duggleby) was mentioned on f 203v.

Folio 203v as you see spells it as Diuegilbi - my best guess at the spelling as i have seen this variant many times before.

Thank you for finding

" By the way, there's also a witness named Thoma _____gilesbi.  In this case the initial is most likely to be T"

this is not in the index and I would have totally missed it.

I am using these documents to cross reference to early yorkshire charters and Deeds, Feet of fines etc to date them.

I have a lot of refrences to Dugglebys in 12th, 13th and 14th century and thought I would try to make a family tree from them once I have them all translated and cross refrenced.

I have already conducted a one name study of Dugglebys back to about 1550 and all across the world which I have posted here

https://familytrees.genopro.com/Duggleby/

you have been a tremendous help thank you again.

kind regards

Ell

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 July 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again

These are the last 2 I need help with please.

The one attached to this post (Dodsworth MS V7 f205 - Copy)

Please can you confirm this is

Reginald son of Peter de L...? of land to Kirkham priory... Adam de Duggleby witness

I have posted the last one seperately.

thank you

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 July 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
LAST ONE!! (Dodsworth MS V7 f304r - Copy)

Please can you confirm that  this one says William de Ros granted land to Kirkham priory... Adam de Dugelby witness.

thank you

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 July 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
The one attached to this post (Dodsworth MS V7 f205 - Copy)

Please can you confirm this is

Reginald son of Peter de L...? of land to Kirkham priory... Adam de Duggleby witness

Carta Reginaldi filij Petri d(omi)ni de Lonsbrugh
Charter of Reginald, son of Peter, lord of Lonsbrugh. (Maybe = Londesborough ?)

Adam de Dugleby is among the witnesses (3 lines up).