Author Topic: Help with John Hunt puzzle please  (Read 695 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with John Hunt puzzle please
« on: Saturday 03 July 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
I thought I’d more or less sorted my Hunt mob out, but it seems not.

John Hunt was baptised in Leicester St Nicholas in 1792, son of Thomas and Esther. His brother William was baptised in 1790.

In 1826 Thomas and John were both (hereditary) freemen in Thornton Lane, Leicester. Thomas was a trimmer, John a dyer.

I cannot find John Hunt in 1841. In 1842 Esther Hunt died in Jewry Wall Street and all evidence suggests she was the widow of Thomas (who had died in Thornton Lane in 1830).

In 1844 the electoral roll locates John Hunt at 22 Jewry Wall Street, a freeman.

In 1851 John Hunt (transcribed on FindMyPast as Joseph!) was a dyer and scourer, aged 58, in Jewry Wall Street, born Boulton, Lancashire. His wife was Rebecca, born Leicestershire.

I think that John Hunt married in St Nicholas, Leicester, in 1814, to Sarah Tacy (witness William Hunt).

I wonder whether the 1851 Census could be in error, and that John was from Leicester and Sarah from Lancashire, maybe his second wife.

A John Hunt died in Leicester in 1858 and is apparently buried in the same plot as William Hunt who died in 1857 (known brother of elusive John).

There was a marriage in 1824 in Boulton le Moors, Lancashire, of Rebecca Roscoe to John Hunt, but only a transcript, so I don’t know if it could be him.

Dave ??? :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with John Hunt puzzle please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 July 21 11:40 BST (UK) »

In 1851 John Hunt (transcribed on FindMyPast as Joseph!) was a dyer and scourer, aged 58, in Jewry Wall Street, born Boulton, Lancashire. His wife was Rebecca, born Leicestershire.

I presume that you have reported it to FindMyPast so they can put it right  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 21 11:46 BST (UK) »

There was a marriage in 1824 in Boulton le Moors, Lancashire, of Rebecca Roscoe to John Hunt, but only a transcript, so I don’t know if it could be him.

Transcript from LancashireOPC
26 Jan 1824 St Peter, Bolton, Lancashire
John Hunt - (X), Bachelor, This Parish [Bolton]
Rebecca Roscoe - (X), Spinster, This Parish [Bolton]
Witnesses  Rd. Mangnall; Jno. Mangnall

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 July 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
John & Rebecca are in Jewry Wall Street in 1841
HO107/ 605 bk 14 f44 p19
John 45  occ Dyer born in County
Rebecca 45 born in county

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 July 21 11:55 BST (UK) »

Transcript from LancashireOPC
26 Jan 1824 St Peter, Bolton, Lancashire
John Hunt - (X), Bachelor, This Parish [Bolton]
Rebecca Roscoe - (X), Spinster, This Parish [Bolton]
Witnesses  Rd. Mangnall; Jno. Mangnall

Thanks. The mystery deepens. The same couple? Was she born Leicestershire ???

Re reporting the mis-transcript to FindMyPast, I’m not sure how (can’t see a button or anything on iPad version). Do I just send an email?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
John & Rebecca are in Jewry Wall Street in 1841
HO107/ 605 bk 14 f44 p19
John 45  occ Dyer born in County
Rebecca 45 born in county

Thanks for finding this.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 July 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
To report error locate the wrong transcript and click the entry for Joseph (John) which highlights it green.  Immediately above there is 'More actions' - select report an error.  Go into that screen and change Joseph to John, scroll to bottom and 'Submit corrections'.   

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
To report error locate the wrong transcript and click the entry for Joseph (John) which highlights it green.  Immediately above there is 'More actions' - select report an error.  Go into that screen and change Joseph to John, scroll to bottom and 'Submit corrections'.

Thanks, I’ve now submitted the correction.

As far as John and Rebecca Hunt are concerned, I think it seems very likely that the John Hunt buried  in the same Welford Road plot as known William would be his brother, so my best bet would be to order his  death registration, and just hope that the name of the informant is meaningful.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
This looks to be John's death registration from the GRO

HUNT, JOHN       64 
GRO Reference: 1858  J Quarter in LEICESTER  Volume 07A  Page 146

Gives a birth year of 1794 but ages aren't always accurate on death certificates.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire