Author Topic: Gordon Family Dufftown  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Sue Rason (Mitchell)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon Family Dufftown
« on: Saturday 03 July 21 18:46 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone researching William Gordon or John Craig Gordon Dufftown Mortlach Scotland
Gordon / Wills Family

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Family Dufftown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, welcome to RootsChat.

Do you have any idea of dates?

And what relationship was John Craig Gordon to William Gordon?

What else do you know about them?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
To Forfairian
William Gordon was my Maternal Grandfather born in Craigellachie 21 Nov 1884
He had a Brother
John Craig Gordon B has above) 7 July 1887
Their Mother
Mary Gordon B 6 Feb 1859. Was a Servant ? Tininver
Both Sons were illegitimate and I can find no hint anywhere to the Father.
Mary later Married John Leslie a Widower 27 July 1894 at Tininver House
No matter how I try I can find nothing about Tininver House and it’s links to this story
Also trying to locate Craig Gordon Grandson of John Craig Gordon who gave me the information about Him.
So really any clues from anyone who might have something about this family.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 21 21:13 BST (UK) »
John Leslie, whose second wife was Mary Gordon, was my 3rd cousin 3 times removed.

Mary was the daughter of John Gordon, farm servant, and Isobella Grey. I think that she must have been in service in Tininver House, because that was the address she gave on her marriage certificate. Tininver House was the property of the Duke of Fife. It wasn't uncommon for a servant to get married in her employer's home, if for some reason she couldn't be married from her parents' home.

John Leslie and Mary Gordon had six of a family.

1. Charles, born 1892 in Craigellachie, died 1970 in Aberdeen. He married and had at least one son.

2. James Innes, born 1895 in Dufftown, died 1977 in Halifax, Yorkshire. He married three times and had 8 children by his first wife, Nancy Morrice Wood; 4 by his second wife, Mary Margaret Clark, and 7 by his third wife, Jane O'Neill.

3. Conrade Leslie, born 1896 in Dufftown, died 1981 in Aberdeen. He was married twice but I do not know whether he had any family.

4. Helen Gray Leslie, born 1897 and died 1904 in Dufftown.

5. Annie Walker Leslie, born 1900 in Dufftown, died 1979 in Elgin. She married Gordon Bremner Shand but I do not know whether there were any children.

6. Gordon Leslie, born and died 1903 in Dufftown.

John Leslie was the son of Archibald Leslie and Helen Gray. He was born in Rothes in 1860 and died in Elgin in 1934.

Mary Gordon died two months after her husband as the result of a motor accident.   

Mary's mother Isabella Gray or Gordon died at Tininver House in 1915, and her father died there in 1923 aged 99. They, their son William and his wife Jessie Findlay are buried in Aberlour.

In the 1891 census (according to a transcription - you'd need to check the original) John Craig Gordon is listed as John Craig, so there is a possibility that his father's surname was Craig.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Welcome to RootsChat from me too  :)

John Craig Gordon was born it seems on 7 Nov 1887.

Likely you have him in censuses? 1891 with maternal godparents and in 1901, at the age of 13, he shows as a visitor in the McKerron household in Aberlour. Occupation is given as a butcher's assistant.

By 1911, he had become a police constable and was working down in London, www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW22-FWG

He married a Catherine Ross in London (1916 4th Qrt ref 1a/1097). He is indexed as John C Gordon.

He retired from the police force in 1927 and was in receipt of a pension, (his Warrant No. was 96,543).

At least one son from his marriage to Catherine, Leslie Gordon. He was born on 20 Jul 1922 in Abernethy, Invernessshire. Wife Catherine Ross died in Nairn in 1975.

See www.findagrave.com/memorial/183213911/catherine-gordon

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Catherine Ross was the daughter of Alexander Ross, farmer, and Maggie Grant, who were married on 18 April 1879 in Cromdale.

She was born at Lochgorm in the parish of Inverallan https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NH9225 and was living there with her parents and siblings in 1891.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of you who have sent me replies.
You have given me more succinct information here after 20 yrs of my searching !!
I only found out the additional children of Mary Gordon & John Leslie 2 weeks ago !!!
Thank you