Author Topic: Death of Lizzie Watterson, 1910-1920, Philadelphia  (Read 44541 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Lizzie Watterson, 1910-1920, Philadelphia
« Reply #387 on: Thursday 09 December 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charles,
I am delighted to find this reply to my posting regarding your mother and family. I can't believe I wasn't notified that I had this reply or  noticed it on my many visits to this site and this posting. Thank you so very very very much for sending this info. Yes, I did think your mother and siblings had a horrible childhood. Also, your grandmother Lizzie Averill. Can you tell me when and where Lizzie died? Under what name? I am so anxious to know. I do hope you get my reply. I am waiting with bated breath.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Thursday 09 December 21 15:17 GMT (UK) »
For everyone out there following this thread but especially for Sandra who has been so wonderful with this research. I have confirmed the death of John M. Watterson, widower of Elizabeth Jane Ferguson. John died Nov 22, 1881 and was mis-entered at time of death as James N. Watterson. This is confirmed by locating the administration of John's estate by John's brother-in-law James M. Ferguson who gives John's date of death as Nov 22, 1881. Age 66, born Ireland, died of smallpox. I am told smallpox is likely why John is not buried with the rest of the family as he was buried in the hospital grounds. I am waiting at this moment for the settlement of the estate which records seem to be difficult to find.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Thursday 09 December 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking for obit of Joann McLaughlin nee Digney formerly Frye, Riverside, California, July 26,1988. Joann was the daughter of William James Digney and Virginia Margaret Watterson and Joann was born Nov 2, 1932 in Ohio, likely Cuyahoga Co. as that is where her parents were married in 1931. Joann was first married to james E. Frye before 1954 and then to Myron A. McLaughlin aft 1956 but they were divorced Jan 29, 1979. I suppose Joann could have remarried.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: Thursday 09 December 21 20:47 GMT (UK) »
For everyone out there following this thread but especially for Sandra who has been so wonderful with this research. I have confirmed the death of John M. Watterson, widower of Elizabeth Jane Ferguson. John died Nov 22, 1881 and was mis-entered at time of death as James N. Watterson. This is confirmed by locating the administration of John's estate by John's brother-in-law James M. Ferguson who gives John's date of death as Nov 22, 1881. Age 66, born Ireland, died of smallpox. I am told smallpox is likely why John is not buried with the rest of the family as he was buried in the hospital grounds. I am waiting at this moment for the settlement of the estate which records seem to be difficult to find.

Delighted when I saw Charles trying to contact you - that was great news.
Great the you found John at last.  :)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Thursday 09 December 21 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Looking for obit of Joann McLaughlin nee Digney formerly Frye, Riverside, California, July 26,1988. Joann was the daughter of William James Digney and Virginia Margaret Watterson and Joann was born Nov 2, 1932 in Ohio, likely Cuyahoga Co. as that is where her parents were married in 1931. Joann was first married to james E. Frye before 1954 and then to Myron A. McLaughlin aft 1956 but they were divorced Jan 29, 1979. I suppose Joann could have remarried.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy

Did come across this legal notice - The Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles, California - 11 Sep 1969, Thu    Page 98

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/90307155/joann-mclaughlin-11-september-1969/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Thursday 09 December 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »

Sorry, never did see an obit but she was still a McLaughlin on the California death index.  Hope someone turns up the obit for you.  :)

Joann McLaughlin - Joann Spencer

Birth Date 2 Nov 1932 Ohio - Death Date 26 Jul 1988 Riverside
Mother's Maiden Name Watterson - Father's Surname Spencer.

Sandra

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: Friday 10 December 21 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra for the legal notice. Seems like her husband may have had a spending problem or they were at odds with each other.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Friday 10 December 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I did post a thank you to everyone who helped me with this Watterson family but I don't see my posting. So here goes again. Thank you one and all, oldohiohome, RJ137, and everyone. I am so grateful.
I did make contact with Charles Hallowell although unfortunately, he does not know when Lizzie died. Did not know about his aunt Virginia Margaret, only about his aunt Julia Roche. Never met Benjamin his uncle. Did know about Benjamin, his grandfather, as a fireman who shovelled coal into hotel furnaces, not a fireman fighting fires.

Offline ChUCK Hallowell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: Saturday 11 December 21 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charles,
I am delighted to find this reply to my posting regarding your mother and family. I can't believe I wasn't notified that I had this reply or  noticed it on my many visits to this site and this posting. Thank you so very very very much for sending this info. Yes, I did think your mother and siblings had a horrible childhood. Also, your grandmother Lizzie Averill. Can you tell me when and where Lizzie died? Under what name? I am so anxious to know. I do hope you get my reply. I am waiting with bated breath.
Peggy
Best holiday wishes for you and yours, Ma'am --
Sorry that I am unable to help with finding any info on my Grandmother, Lizzie Watterson.
 Per our phone conversation, I never met either of my Grandparents, and have scant knowledge of their lives, and/or where they lived and died.
 There is a huge, gaping hole in the lives of folks who know not whence they came, as I can tell you from several decades of an almost-morbid curiosity.
 Thank you kindly and muchly for your call -- I was as delighted as much as surprised.
 Google:  2163 North 15th Street, Phila, PA -- to see where I lived in North Philadelphia, and where my Mother died of pneumonia (Dec.13th, 1955).
 Best holiday wishes to you and yours.
 Chuck Hallowell
 12/11/21