Author Topic: Burial ground of John MacKay  (Read 1449 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Burial ground of John MacKay
« on: Sunday 04 July 21 12:57 BST (UK) »
Please could someone help me find where this burial ground is
Of John MacKay died 1859 aged 73 the husband of Christina McKenzie
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial ground of John MacKay
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
Looks like Oldshoremore

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you
I've never heard of that place but Googled it
Thanks again
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 21 18:03 BST (UK) »
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NC2058 has some photographs of the cemetery.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this Forfarian
this was very  interesting

On  Johns death he is a widower aged 73 the informant is his Son in law George McLeod

Parents are John MacKay and Christina McKenzie I have nothing on Christina

any help to who he married please or a daughter who married George McLeod

Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:53 BST (UK) »
 Hi Elizabeth

There is an A/try tree here if you have access? If so, www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/112505893/person/390102140886/facts

John is showing as having married an Euphemia Gunn on 15 Nov 1819 in Eddrachillis, Sutherland. She is indexed as Ephy Gunn. Looks like they spent most of their lives there. Their 1851 entry:

John Mckay 63 crofter b. Kinlochbervie, sutherlandshire
Effy Mckay 60
William Mckay 25....showing as daughter.
Donald Mckay 23
Isabella Mckay 23 daughter in law
Johana Mckay 5 Months grandchild b. Farr

Address: Achviskill, Eddrachillis, Sutherland

Euphemia is showing as having died in 1858 which you can confirm on SP.

Their daughter Williamina Mckay is the one who married George McLeod. You can view the marriage on SP to confirm her parents from this entry, dated 15 Oct 1857 in Eddrachillis, Sutherland.

There are only 3 children showing for them:

George 1823 -1907....married Isabella McKay, not seeing marriage or banns for them so far.
Williamina 1825 - 1918....details as above.
Donald 1827 - 1910....married Jessie Chisholm on 28 Feb 1861 in Portree.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Oh this is great Monica thank you

I've been trying for a long time to piece this family together for a young girl in New Zealand who found we were related through our DNA .She starts of with George ??????
and I keep asking her for more info on him but she has never found out who he was
So I'm hoping this is a lead .I will look at S/P I have some credits  ( I keep saying to myself no more but find they are very good to have and share them ) with some people abroad
many thanks

Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 00:18 BST (UK) »
At least one grandson of George McKay and his wife Isabella ended up in Western Australia. Maybe this is the connection.

Andrew McKay, son of John McKay and wife Fanny Ferguson, was born on 15 Jan 1906 in Lybster, Caithness. He married Alexis Isobel Drysden. Andrew died in Perth Australia in 1985. His wife Alexis in 1997.

Has the girl in NZ given you other names in her direct line?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 July 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you . I’m travelling back and forward to our holiday home will try to get back to you next week when I’m longer at home .
I’m using my phone just now
Elizabeth