Author Topic: Douglas Robson  (Read 833 times)

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas Robson
« on: Sunday 04 July 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
What happened to my Relative Douglas Robson.
He was born Newcastle  England in 1835, his parents were John Robson and Eleanor Uwin, the family later li ed in Sunderland re 1851 Census.
Douglas was a Seamen in the Merchant Service he was last heard of sailing to Australia in 1860, after there is sign of him, cant find a Marriage , Death etc, he didnt come back England after sailing to Australia, its a mystery as to what happened to him.
maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
Allan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Robson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the name of the ship he was on in 1860 and which British Colony he was intending to migrate to? 
The British Colonies were:
New South Wales, Tasmania, Western Australia, South Australia, New Zealand,  Victoria and Queensland.

ADD .... Please do provide live links to your previous threads about this chap.it will help avoid duplicating info already posted and allow us all to share  ... knowing what searching has already been checked.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 21 05:20 BST (UK) »
There was a Douglas ROBSON, crew on the Ellen Lewis, 30 March 1861, when quite a few of the crew were signed off at that date, possibly in Sydney, but could well be Newcastle NSW.   Possibly a coastal trader, a barque.   

Further info could be available at NSW State Archives, Kingswood.
Registers of Discharged Seamen, 1859-1864; Series: 13282; Reel: 3680   

The Seaman has signed, so if our OP already has sample of his handwriting, perhaps it could be compared to the snip attached.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 21 05:23 BST (UK) »
What happened to my Relative Douglas Robson.
He was born Newcastle  England in 1835, his parents were John Robson and Eleanor Uwin, the family later li ed in Sunderland re 1851 Census.
Douglas was a Seamen in the Merchant Service he was last heard of sailing to Australia in 1860, after there is sign of him, cant find a Marriage , Death etc, he didnt come back England after sailing to Australia, its a mystery as to what happened to him.
maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
Allan

One of the earlier threads :  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775857.0

And
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761986.0

JM

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the name of the ship he was on in 1860 and which British Colony he was intending to migrate to? 
The British Colonies were:
New South Wales, Tasmania, Western Australia, South Australia, New Zealand,  Victoria and Queensland.

ADD .... Please do provide live links to your previous threads about this chap.it will help avoid duplicating info already posted and allow us all to share  ... knowing what searching has already been checked.

JM

Thanks for your reply, i dont know the name of ship  and as far as the family knows he was not planning to migrate, that the mystery.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 00:34 BST (UK) »
Advertisement 1899

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162413504

Had you seen this enquiry?
Is it the same man?
Left in 1858 per Diadem.

It does not state whether crew or passenger.
Very often, but not always, when an advertisement like this appears, it relates to a death in the family at home.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
Advertisement 1899

Is it the same man?
Left in 1858 per Diadem.

Very often, but not always, when an advertisement like this appears, it relates to a death in the family at home.

Sue

Hi Sue, dont think this the same man, thanks for ypur reply.

Allan

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
Advertisement 1899

Is it the same man?
Left in 1858 per Diadem.

Sue

Hi Sue, dont think this the same man, thanks for ypur reply.

Allan

Sorry Sue but yes i think that he is one and the same, his Sister Jane and Brother Armstrong could be the people wondering what happened to Douglas.