Author Topic: Sir. Thomas Earl Knight  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir. Thomas Earl Knight
« on: Monday 05 July 21 07:28 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon all, still searching for the baptism of Elizabeth Knight around 1752 who married a Earl Pearce (Pottery) on the 3/11/1768 St.James Bristol, when Earl passed away she continued with his Pottery Business and associated with a Benjamin Quarman who also is connected with Thomas Earl Knight, I am hoping with the descendants from this person maybe Elizabeth Knights family. :-\ :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sir. Thomas Earl Knight
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
I found this online which indicates the query has been a long term quest:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum/threads/79458-Elizabeth-Knight

It states that she was buried in 1808 aged 71, so her year of birth would be c1737. That looks a bit old for a marriage in 1768.

The dates don't tie in with this one:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum/threads/51087-EARL-PEARCE-from-BRISTOL

More here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=545757.0

Jo

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 00:00 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Jo Harding, thanks for your help, I have her record as death in the Almshouse which was owned by her husband Earl Pearce Bristol 14/7/1830 aged 78 St. Philip & Jacob Bristol England, she worked with Benjamin Quarman after her husband Earl died and ran the Pottery business she must have been familiar with this work. :-[ :-\

Regards,

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Janet,

I don't know how many bodies etc you have contacted about this query. It might help if you could provide some information rather than have us make suggestions and repeat these.

The first thing I wondered is whether you have pursued your search in Gloucestershire as most of Bristol is in Gloucestershire. Genuki has a wealth of information on this:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Bristol

St Phillip and St Jacob is situated in Gloucestershire:

https://www.parishmouse.co.uk/gloucestershire/bristol-st-philip-and-st-jacob-gloucestershire-family-history-guide/

Have you made enquiries in the relevant archives? Which ones have you contacted, or searched?

There is the Gloucestershire Family History Society which may have some information to assist you:

https://gfhs.org.uk/

When did Earl Pearce die? Have you looked for a Will for him? Same for Elizabeth Knight, have you tried to find a Will for her? Did they have any children?

What is the source of your information on Benjamin Quarman? Judging from this feature, he left Bristol to work in Worcester and later Isleworth. It says he went to Worcester in 1753 and then to Isleworth in 1765.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15925/lot/152/

Those dates look to make it debatable whether Benjamin would have worked with Elizabeth after Earl Pearce died.

Jo

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 23:11 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Jo Harding, I live in Australia and its hard finding out my ancestors records, I use mainly Ancestry, FindMyPast and other families who are also connected. Earl Pearce bap. 8/2/1745 St. Philip & Jacob they married on the 3/1/1768 St. James Bristol, Earl died 3/6/1795 with gout buried St. Philip & Jacob. I tried to find the wills for the couple, I don't have much luck with this. Thanks for your help I have no idea where the British towns, countries are, and of course they change over the years. :-[ I did have help from a great researcher a long time ago but he has now retired. :-[

Regards,

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
One of the links tells me that the pottery was built on land formerly owned by the Knight family of Temple Street, Bristol. Highly likely in my opinion that Elizabeth came from this family? However, I googled for  - Knight, "Temple Street" Bristol - and found the History of Parliament site about one John Knight, MP in the 1660s, that helpfully ends "died in December 1683 before he could be displaced. He was buried in the Temple church. His will suggests only moderate wealth, and nothing seems to be known of his descendants."

The Wikipedia article on this John Knight (1613-1683) mentions a cousin, also Sir John Knight, who died 1718. Apparently this John "Knight married Anne Smith, daughter of Thomas Smith of Long Ashton and had a son and two daughters" Long Ashton is in North Somerset and just south of the Bristol urban area - perhaps Elizabeth was one of his grandchildren?

Just throwing out some ideas of where you might look....

By the way, it's very easy to just put an English town or village name into google (plus county) and you'll get a map showing you the location, and probably a short Wikipedia article.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
Good Morning teragram31510, thanks so much for your help and information I will certainly search for John Knight, his marriage and family. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-[

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 21 05:47 BST (UK) »
What are the names of Elizabeth and Earl’s children?

For instance why is Ann Maynord/Maynard Pearce called that?   Is it from Earl or Elizabeth’s side of the family?

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Afternoon mckha489 The children that Earl and Elizabeth Pearce Daniel Taylor 24/12/1769 Earl 22/9/1771 Ann Maynard (who was a Potter with Earl Pearce) 17/8/1773 Sarah Taylor 30/7/1775 Elizabeth 8/11/1778 Hannah 2/5/1781 Hannah Chubb 10/5/1782 Fanny 9/6/1784 Colston 13/111785 (also connected to the Pottery Trade with Earl Pearce) Martha 12/12/1787 Thomas Palmer 3/4/1791 William 14/10/1792. I have been searching all the morning for the Knight family, most of them moved to the U.S.A. I will have another look. :-[

Regards,