Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 11th July 2021  (Read 6112 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 11th July 2021
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 July 21 13:03 BST (UK) »
MH
Have  a  really enjoyable  time  with  your  family

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 July 21 06:45 BST (UK) »
On Thursday, I was on a day shift.  It was hard as usual getting up at 5 am as I keep waking through the night, so always have broken sleep.
As my second bus was leaving the bus station, I see a young window cleaner with his bucket run directly across the path of the bus by the exit traffic lights.  The driver sounds a loud 'beeeep!' and I gasp and cover my eyes with my hands and brace myself for the thud.  However, miraculously, there is nothing and when I uncover my eyes I see the window cleaner has avoided being hit and is still off running. Silly man, I think, - how narrowly he has missed being hit and surely it is better to be late in one sense of the word than in another.
After work, I go to the library as it is their late night opening and look something up for a RootsChatter and then go on RC about it while travelling home on the buses.
After something to eat at home, I had an early night.
Friday was a 12 hour shift.  When I reached Newcastle on homeward journey, I was waiting at a stand with a young man.  The bus didn't come.  When this ran way over time, the young man says he will go to find staff to ask about it.  A staff member with a bit of paper in his hand comes over with the young man.  He confirms that the bus won't  be coming.  He says that they have had to knock a lot of services off all week as he says a lot of staff are going off sick.  He adds it is the same at a lot of places around Newcastle. I wonder if he is referring to Covid?  I think about asking but then I think he might not be able to say specifically the reason why people are going off sick.  I ask can they not put a notice up on the board to let people know which buses aren't coming.  He says no, they can't put notices up and to look at the tannoy.  That's not much use though as the tannoy had indicated the bus would be coming.  The young man says he will make other arrangements and I go to another bus stand.  There is another bus I can get and this one comes.
I am a bit concerned though about the reasons behind this.  Could it be numbers are going up? ???  I worry that this might not bode well for our approaching day of 'Freedom' ahead. :-\

.. Just to add something else about last night.  Wasn't sure whether to add this as it is not nice, but it happened so I will.
Whilst I was waiting, a rough sleeper in a green sleeping bag was at the station curled up in a doorway.  A family came along.  The children were little blonde haired boys.  The little boys stood near the rough sleeper and gave some ear piercing shreiks, seemingly to try to disturb his sleep.  Then they grinned as though pleased with themselves.  >:( Then the adults with them grinned back, as though amused!!  >:( I thought this was vile.  Very irresponsible too of the adults to allow children to be so heartless and to give the impression that it is amusing to behave so.
Not that I am advocating it, but in my day this type of behaviour would have earned children a good wallop by parents. After they left it wasn't long before I heard some more shrieks from the children in the distance and I wondered if they had come across another rough sleeper to torment.  >:(
Sadly, these rough sleepers do seem to be pestered now and again.  It wasn't that long ago I saw one in a doorway being kicked awake by a beggar who wanted to know if he (of all people!) had any spare change to give him!! :o ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 July 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
With COVID cases rising, people contributing to this thread losing loved ones, it's good when something nice happens to us to lift our spirits.

Had appointment to collect my new glasses from Specsavers on Thursday but when I checked the time I had to go that day (3.20) discovered I should have gone on Wednesday!!!   Phoned them to apologise and make another appointment (Monday 10.20).

Last night met up with my sister and 2 friends as it one of the friends' birthday - the other friend was hosting and cooking a roast dinner for us all (chicken, stuffing and all the trimmings) plus I provided the dessert (peach and raspberry trifle).   It was a pleasant evening and we ate outside before going inside for coffee and M opening her presents.   A truly lovely evening and a boost for all 4 of us to meet up again.   So nice to have such good friends.   An added surprise for my sister who's having her hip op at last on 19th July - the 3 of us clubbed together and bought her a nightie (as she usually wears PJ's but won't be after the op), a good book, and a collection of mini toiletries.  She was really touched and almost in tears.

Having a relaxing, peaceful day today and then will prepare myself for the England final tomorrow.   I'm not usually a football fan but this tournament has brought out my patriotism I think.

Had a call from my cousin in Dorset (safely home after her visit here last week) to ask if I'd decided when I would visit them again, suggesting early September.   However, it's not something I've even thought about so said I'd get back to her on that.    Have now decided it's not something I want to do yet - journey involves 2 coaches (Ipswich to London and London to Bournemouth) with an hour stop in London Victoria Coach Station.   Always busy there and I really don't feel happy about mixing with strangers at this time.   I know we have got to learn to live with it now, and have had the jabs, but still intend to be selective as to where I go.   Will continue wearing a mask and sanitising after 19th July and generally being careful but certainly not comfortable about a trip to Dorset yet.

Best wishes to you all and continue to stay safe.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 July 21 20:12 BST (UK) »
I am glad to hear about your lovely celebration meal with your sister and friends Annette.  It sounds like your sister was quite overcome with emotion at her surprise gifts.
I hope all goes well with her operation.

I will continues to wear face coverings and sanitise  too after the 19th.  It just feels far too soon to abandon this just yet. 

I am not one for football either but I hope we win.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 July 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
Annette  ,
Wishing  your  sister well with  her  hip  op, I  had a replacement 14  years  ago and  have hardly  looked  back, as  long as she  does what   they  suggest  she  will be fine
I wasn't  allowed  to sit  during the  day  in nightwear, we had  to  be  up and    dressed,  so I wore  elastic  waisted  skirts,  much easier and  of  course nightdresses  for  bedtime

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 July 21 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi to all who contribute and read the diary pages. I have done a quick catch-up on most of the posts and this is to let you know I am ok.
So sorry to those in the UK. Was thinking of you all when your lockdown did not end on the 21st of June (My Birthday).

Happy belated birthday to Mowsehowe and Jeff and others that have celebrated.

RTL, tazzie, lousia maud, my sincere condolences on the recent loss of your loved ones.

Caroline, sorry to read of your husbands’ illness. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Well, this pandemic has taken a lot but also through these pages brought new friendships. The diary has allowed people to express their inner thoughts when there was nobody else around. It has been a support to many. It has made many much stronger.

My Diary;
Thursday the 8th of July was vaccination day for me. 2nd dose on the 30th. (Pfizer). No side effects, not even a sore arm.

In April I was asked to stand for President of the club I belong to. I agreed thinking it would take a miracle for me to get the job. In the 52 years, the club has been going, the top job always goes to a Male Bowler (indoor). I was neither. Our AGM was held in May and after the meeting, I was the new president. So I am learning bowls, something I never thought I would do. It is a big job so learning all ropes over 6 months. 122 members and a hall that we rent out to different groups to help pay the bills. Still running cards on a Monday and now learning how to run a bowls session. Long days and not too much time at home. (Fridays and Sundays this week and next)

My son is in remission but has decided on no transplant and no more chemo. He has acute myeloid leukemia. The good news is he gets married on the 21st of November this year.

It is great to see you all heading for the new normal. Just take your time and do it your way. 1 step at a time.
Carol
Stay Safe Stay Strong
edit; Roobarb, pleased you are now hugging safely. It brought a tear to my eyes.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 July 21 02:25 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Carol.
Congratulations on you becoming President of your bowling club.

Very brave son you have!l
Hope the Wedding day goes off well, let us know what your hat is like and all good wishes to the happy couple.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 July 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
It is good to hear from you that you are okay. 
What good news that that son is in remission  and that you have his wedding to look forward later this year.  Also, congratulations on being the first female president of your bowling club.  You must have felt so chuffed when this position was awarded to you!
I am glad to hear that you have had no ill effects from the jab. 
Thanks for your kind condolence.

I too hope that Caroline's husband is getting on the mend.  I will finish off here as I am travelling en route for 12 hour shift today and will be there soon.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 July 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am sitting at the bus station now on way home from work and there is a festive air sounding from the pubs nearby.  I can hear lots of raucous singing and banging. The noise is almost deafening!  Earlier when I got off my first bus I heard lots of cheering so I take it England must be doing well?
I am glad my bus will likely come before the pubs turn out - I think it will be bedlam here soon once the match is over.
I don't expect anyone to read this post - I guess you will all probably be glued to the TV right now. ;D