Author Topic: Local Place Names in Barnsley in the 1830s  (Read 1926 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Local Place Names in Barnsley in the 1830s
« on: Monday 05 July 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can somebody please help me with a couple of place names apparently in the Barnsley area? They are places that my ancestors give as place of birth in the earlier censuses. Sixty years later they just give "Shefffield" where they both lived

One is Barnsley Cliff Bridge and the other Barnsley Long Haughton/ Long Oughton/ Long Houghton and in one case transcribed as Long Caton but always "Long"

I can't give the references as my ancestry subscription has lapsed!
Cliff Bridge is  for William Rogerson  and Long Wotsit for Hannah his wife nee Marsden both born c 1829. In the 1851 Census they are listed as both 22 in Sheffield as Rodgers (if my notes are correct)

Would Long Wotsit have been a mining area? (her father's occ)

Many thanks
Rebel

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Local Place Names in Barnsley in the 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
I looked in the newspapers for references to Long Houghton between 1830 and 1839.

The Sheffield Independent Newspaper mentions Long Houghton a few times in relation to fox hunts, for example on 15th October 1831 it says

'Lord Fitzwiliam's fox hounds will meet on. . . . Saturday the 22nd at Long Houghton.'

There is also mention of a marriage in the Saturday 21st August 1830 edition. It says

"A few days ago, at Darfield Church, Mr John Sellers, farmer of Long Houghton, near Barnsley, to Mary, the third daughter of Mr Waterton of Houghton Hall."

There are references to other Long Houghtons in the 1830s in the newspapers, including one near Alnwick, which I believe is near Berwick on Tweed, so likely a different one.

There is also reference to an estate belonging to the Duke of Northumberland, but that one is near Howick in Northumberland, so I assume a totally different one.

The only mentions which fit the Long Houghton you were talking about were in relation to fox hunts and that wedding above - which makes me believe it must have been a fairly rural place which was perhaps falling out of use as a place name.

I couldn't find a single reference to a place called 'Barnsley Cliff Bridge'.

However there were a few references to a place called Cliff Bridge near Barnsley.

Perhaps the most useful are these two.

Firstly from the Sheffield Independent on Sat 8 July, 1848

"Woman Drowned - On Sunday morning, about one o clock, a women of the name of Watts was drowned in Barnsley canal, at Cliff Bridge, when in a state of intoxication. It appears the deceased and her husband had been drinking together at Barnsley on Saturday night, and has set of at midnight to go home to Littleworth, but the husband falling in the road, the deceased was walking by herself on the canal side when she accidentally fell in. Although assistance was procured in a short time, yet the poor woman was found to be dead when she got out of the water. She was nearly 60 years of age."

So that would suggest to me that Cliff Bridge was somewhere between Barnsley and Littleworth.

There is also an advert from the same newspaper on Saturday 20th April 1839. It reads "Oaks, Hoyle Mill and Cliff Bridge Quarries near Barnsley." It gives some details of the sort of blocks you can buy from there and then reads "The two former quarries (presumably meaning Oaks and Hoyle Mill) being situate on the banks of the Deane and Dove canal and the later (presumably meaning Cliff Bridge) adjoining the Barnsley Canal afford every facility of shipping to any part of the Kingdom."

The advert also asks for quarrymen to apply for jobs, which is maybe why your relatives were born there?

There is one marriage listed in the same newspaper, on 8 July 1848, "At Rotherham, on Monday last, Mr Wm Walker, builder of Cliffbridge, near Barnsley, to Miss E. Siddall, Fitzwilliam Street, Sheffield."

There were lots of other references to a cliff bridge, but that is in Scarborough.

Hope that is helpful.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, Stanwix, for your highly informative reply to my question. Google had been of no use at all, always referrring me to Alnwick as you found out for yourself!

I do have a little booklet of "Barnsley Place Names" which includes  references to Houghton Common and Greater Houghton both being " 7 miles east of Barnsley and near Darfield" which sort of matches the wedding that you discovered, so I think definitely this vicinity.

The indexing in the booklet confused me ( a lot of things do...) but sifting through it again this morning I actually find "Cliffe Bridge" as being 2 miles from Barnsley over the Barnsley Canal at Cundy Cross"

Thankfully, Cundy Cross is also listed as being on the A628 (Pontefract road) East of Barnsley. There's a second Cundy Cross at Stockbridge 11 miles from Barnsley but I suspect the wrong one.

So, now I have some idea as to where to start looking on the old maps!
Thanks for your help
Rebel

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
Mr John Sellers, farmer of Long Houghton, near Barnsley,
John Sellers is at Town End South, Great Houghton, in the 1841 census.

Great and Little Houghton https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=53.55530&lon=-1.35692&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the wonderful links to the maps, a great help!

I tried googling with Long Houghton Darfield instead of L-H Barnsley as I had  been previoulsy doing and actually got a couple of hits.
Interestingly, I found a couple of burials for Darfield as late as 1900 with "Abode" as Long Houghton.
And Houghton Hall in one account was called Long Houghton Hall.
Looking at the map you provided, the Old Hall is marked and was situated between Great and Little Houghton.

It doesn't seem to be there on a modern map but in roughly the same position is an "Old Hall Road" with modern housing, so I suspect all was demolished at some point.

I wonder what "Long" would have referred to in this case?
Thanks for the help
Rebel

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
The people of Barnsley and the surrounding area have strong Yorkshire accents so it is to be hoped that the census takers were from that area because how they pronounce some places names does not match how they are spelt. Cudworth is a prime example, it is actually pronounced Cuderth.

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
Gawd!
How is Houghton pronounced then ?
Like How - Tun

or does it more rhyme with "cough" ?

Sorry, it's a southerner here..!
Rebel

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 19:26 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure but as a Yorkshire woman my guess would have been How-tun. Perhaps sounds like 'owtun depending on how strong the accent is.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*