Author Topic: Victoria terrace, Poulner Road/Southampton Road, Ringwood- Victoria house number  (Read 788 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I am trying to establish when the terraced houses now known as 76-84 Southampton Road Ringwood were re-numbered as these numbers. The terrace was previously known as Victoria Terrace (built early 1840s) and I have several references to 1 Victoria terrace, 3 Victoria Terrace and 4 Victoria Terrace etc.

Does anyone know how I can find out which addresses in Victoria terrace were subsequently renumbered as 76-84 Southampton Road please.

Many thanks

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just checking - were they on Poulner Lane or Poulner Road? From what I can see Southampton Road was originally Poulner Lane?.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Poulner Lane- sorry! They are definitely now on Southampton Road.

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Up Street ran into Poulner Lane - which follows the route of the present Southampton Road precisely as far as the White Hart
Trying to reconcile the 4 addresses "1-4Victoria Terrace" on the 1911 Census with the properties that surround them.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
A member of the family tells me tonight that the Victoria Terrace sign can just be seen on number 86 Southampton Road which is a larger property than the three terraced cottages alongside. I know from the 1845 Tithe map that the owner of the 4 properties also lived in one of them and so on that basis I am assuming that he would have lived in 86- and he is shown as living at 1 Victoria Terrace (Hiscock). I can only deduce from this that 84 Southampton road was 2 Victoria Terrace, 82 was number 3 Victoria Terrace and 80 was 4 Victoria Terrace.

However if anyone can shed any more light on this I would be truly grateful!

Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Not sure if this helps identify house numbers in Victoria terrace in 1911:

Rachel Harris - widowed and aged 80 - was living in one of them with her son William George Harris (41 and single) - possibly living at what is now 82.

In 1921 there are possibly 8 names listed as living in Victoria Terrace, the first named being W Brinton.

Hope this helps to unpick this conundrum!

Thank you so much!

Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria terrace, Poulner Road/Southampton Road, Ringwood- Victoria house number
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 July 21 10:59 BST (UK) »
A big ask-can anyone please tell me the names that are listed in 1921 for Victoria Terrace Ringwood. I know that the first name listed is W Brinton but can anyone tell me the names that are listed after W Brinton for Victoria Terrace please- trying to fill gaps in some research!

I would expect that R Harris and W G Harris are amongst the names listed but the order in which the names are listed is also crucial to my research.

Big big thanks in anticipation x

Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria terrace, Poulner Road/Southampton Road, Ringwood-1911 census
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 12:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to reconcile modern day numbering of 76-86 Southampton Road with the original numbering of these properties when they were known as Victoria terrace during the 19th century.

Can anyone please tell me the order in which the names appear on the 1911 Census- I believe that the Hiscock family may well be listed first- however, it may be the Brinton family.
I am pretty confident that Rachel Harris and her son William George Harris were living in Victoria terrace in 1911- but it would be really helpful to know the order of names as shown on the census as I would then be able to establish which families were in which cottage.

Thanking you so very much in anticipation of your help.

Caroline

Moderator comment: reminder, RootsChat does not allow requests for look-ups from commercial subscription sites.  1911 census transcriptions can be accessed free on the FamilySearch website.