Author Topic: Unable To Find Streets In South Shields  (Read 1910 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Unable To Find Streets In South Shields
« on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:27 BST (UK) »
Good morning Rootschatters, my ancestors are from South Shields/Westoe and I have been compiling streets that they have lived in. I purchased a South Shields 1895 Ordnance Survey Map and have been highlighting the streets they lived in, however a couple are eluding me and I am hoping that someone may be able to assist me.
An ancestor lived in Bath Street in the 1911 census, I have seen a reference to a Bath Street and also an old photo of Baring Street which had (Bath Street) named afterwards. I am thinking as this was/is quite a long street that originally part of it was Bath Street and the other part was Baring Street and at some stage they renamed the whole street as Baring Street. (this has happened to me with my grandfather in Gateshead, same house but different street names in 2 census).
Barker Terrace 1901 census. I am aware that this will be a row of houses in another named street (as this was quite common) but would anyone know which street and whereabouts in the street.
Frost Street Westoe. 1881 census. Can find no information on this street but have come across a 1891 death where the person lived in Frost Street.
Any help would be appreciated to finish off this project. Many thanks, Paul

With help I have found both Bath Street and Frost Street. If anyone knows which street Barker Terrace was on I would be grateful
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unable To Find Streets In South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=12.309666751154237&lat=55.00302&lon=-1.45922&layers=102&b=1&z=0&point=0,0

The above Link of Historical OS 6" to the Mile Maps, should enable You, to select an area of interest, and street views, over the various decades.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
1896 Town Plan - Baring St

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/436366/567907/13/101249

You may need to use zoom (-) to bring up map

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
Frost Street ran parallel to Napier Street and joined Lord Nelson Street. It is on the next map down to that mentioned by Sandblown close to the left-hand edge, just over half way down.

A more detailed map - https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/435707/564956/13/101249
Maps from other dates - click on the images on the left of the page.

David

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
There's a report in the South Shields Gazette, 1 Sep 1897, of the Corporation's purchase the Field House Estate from a Mrs Fairles as part of the Bath Street development.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 12:32 BST (UK) »
Frost Street ran parallel to Napier Street and joined Lord Nelson Street. It is on the next map down to that mentioned by Sandblown close to the left-hand edge, just over half way down.

A more detailed map - https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/435707/564956/13/101249
Maps from other dates - click on the images on the left of the page.

David

Many thanks David, found it. I would classify it as Tyne Dock but was probably part of Westoe back then. I have another map that travels further south and it is on that one. One down. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=12.309666751154237&lat=55.00302&lon=-1.45922&layers=101&b=1&z=0&point=54.99203,-1.42862

Apologies, it's the OS 25" to the Mile Maps, that provide the Street views.

Thanks Sandblown, it looks as though Baring Street, which is on my map, was the only name from the top to the bottom of the street.
Another report states 'There's a report in the South Shields Gazette, 1 Sep 1897, of the Corporation's purchase the Field House Estate from a Mrs Fairles as part of the Bath Street development'. So it looks as though Bath Street came into existance after my 1895 map was published. Paul

Found it, it was on the very edge of my map written in very small letters. Thank you

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
There's a report in the South Shields Gazette, 1 Sep 1897, of the Corporation's purchase the Field House Estate from a Mrs Fairles as part of the Bath Street development.

Many thanks for that, it looks as though I will have to find an newer map than the 1895 map I have. Paul