Author Topic: Unable To Find Streets In South Shields  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unable To Find Streets In South Shields
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
If your family are at Barker Tce on the 1901 census, have a look at the enumerator’s route and the neighbouring addresses which should lead you to a street or landmark which you should be able to find on a map.

This might help narrow down the location of Barker Tce.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Shields Daily News, 12 Oct 1886
No 91 Bath Street, South Shields
Having a frontage of 21 feet in Bath Street, and 28 feet 7 inches in James Mather Street

There was a Bath Street long before 1895.

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all

According to the below article, barker terrace was on westoe lane
http://www.boyshighschool.co.uk/thepast/grammarschool.htm

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
Shields Daily Gazette, 25 Jan 1902
10 Bath Street, South Shields
(off Mile End Road, near Railway Station

Bath Street, 1915
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/436399/567459/12/101064

Offline lemonbarley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live in South Shields and Barker Terrace is part of what is now Westoe Road. It is the block which runs from the corner of Erskine Road up to the Town Hall and the street name is still visible. You can see it on Google Maps, it's on the wall - (just above the opticians).

There's a nice photo of Barker Terrace here -
https://southtynesidehistory.co.uk/archive/photographs/architecture/shops/619146-westoe-road?q=barker%20terrace#prettyPhoto

I've seen an earlier photo from the turn of the century with all shops below and flats/houses above. Did your family own a shop on Barker Terrace? There was also a very large and well known Co op store, on the end closest to the Town Hall.

Bath Street ran directly between Mile End Road and Baring Street. Sadly, none of it has survived as far as I know. It is where Coston Drive is now and runs behind what is now the Morrisons supermarket car park. I think most of it was knocked down in the 60s and whatever was left probably went when the supermarket was built in the 1980s.
It would have been quite a busy, bustling street though with the old railway station and lots of shops, pubs and a theatre nearby.

There is a photo from the 80s which shows the corner of Baring Street and Coston Drive.
It's quite hard to make out but you can just see the street name for Coston Drive above the shop, with the older one for Bath Street above .
https://southtynesidehistory.co.uk/archive/photographs/streets/south-shields/619541-baring-street-bath-street-and-coston-drive?q=baring%20street

Hope that helps a bit!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Researching school admission records I found out that my Grandmother attended the Baring Street school in South Shields.  Part of the old school building still exists and this is on the site of Arbeia Roman Fort in South Shields.

This is an old photo I took a few years back.  You cant see it too well on the photo but the plaque records 'Baring St School'.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline lemonbarley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass - My grandmother and her brother and sister also went to Baring Street school, I had no idea the school was still there.
Coincidently, I recently found some fab hardbacked photos of Baring Street infant and junior class groups from 1920. So if your grandmother was there at that time she might be on one of the photos.  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 23:31 BST (UK) »
Oh that's a coincidence!
The part school building was there a few years ago and I presume it will still be there but I haven't been over that site since Covid.  The building looked as if it was being used as a warehouse.  It is on the same ground as the Arbeia Fort.

Unfortunately, my Grandmother was only there between 1907 and 1909.  The log books are interesting to read at Tyne and Wear Archives.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 00:07 BST (UK) »
Amendment - this particular plaque records 'Infants' School' but I do believe this is part of the old Baring Street School.  I presume the school would have been much bigger at one time.