Author Topic: St.Andrews Cemetery, Jesmond-Grave of Peter Ferguson R.N. d. 24 July 1921  (Read 1215 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St.Andrews Cemetery, Jesmond-Grave of Peter Ferguson R.N. d. 24 July 1921
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
Right pirhana, leave it with me and I will do my best.  Will post on here tomorrow night probably no later than 9 pm to let you know if I managed to get it.

Thanks Boo for posting the form link as a plan B just in case things don't work out.  Hopefully they will though.  I will do my best. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have been able to access the monumental inscriptions volume for St Andrew's Cemetery Jesmond.  This volume is divided into sections and numbers.

The one you are after is in Section 3 no 346 in the volume.

This is the inscription:

'In loving memory of Maria wife of Peter Ferguson died 24th July 1916 aged 58 years.
Also Florence died 11th Nov 1920 aged 32 years.
Also Peter died 24th July 1921 aged 28 years.
Also Mary died 28th May 1925 aged 27 years.
Children of the above.
At rest with God'

I am afraid the book doesn't give the sections or plots in the actual cemetery.
I have been thinking about this and I now think I recall that the burial registers for this cemetery on microfilm are more like a Church register and doesn't give the section and plot.  However, I might be wrong but this is what I think I remember from researching pre covid time. 
You could still ask via the local studies using the form link just in case I am wrong on this.  If I am right it might be that you will have to ask for the section/plot via the bereavement services.

Oh well, at least I was able the get the inscription for you today. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 July 21 18:55 BST (UK) »

I am afraid the book doesn't give the sections or plots in the actual cemetery

About 10 years ago, I wanted to find the grave of the wife of a distant ancestor. I found that her burial was recorded in St Luke's registers and indicated that she was buried at St Andrew's Cemetery. I contacted both the Tyne and Wear Archives and the Central Library and I was given the section and plot number but for the life of me can I remember which of the two gave me the information. (getting old!!) The information is 'out there' !!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 July 21 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan. :)
Oh well, that is good news ... perhaps I am remembering a different place then.
I know that Tyne and Wear Archives and the Local studies both hold the same info for this cemetery on microfilm.  The only difference is the local studies are offering a free service at the moment. :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 July 21 19:04 BST (UK) »

Oh well, at least I was able the get the inscription for you today. :)

Your post has cracked it :-)

Now I know there was a burial (1916) which is prior to the gap in the online images I have been able to find that entry and from there get the section and plot number for the 1916 burial which was Section F, plot 347  342 (Sorry, typo - see image)

Then, cos I am Mrs belt n braces I could look in the graves register now I know the section and plot number to finally get us to this which matches with the inscription

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-C9YW-9?

Team work ! thanks RTL :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 July 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
Oh, fantastic Boo!  Well done! :D  Between us we've cracked it. ;)
I just love this team work on RC! :D

I have added all these people on Find A Grave for the benefit of others who may be researching the same people.  You never know, someone living near or able to visit the cemetery might add a photo one of these days.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 July 21 19:26 BST (UK) »
Note for pirhana

(sorry this has been in bits n pieces, but I had to go and check the oven cos dinner's almost ready)

Though these people were all buried in the same grave, the note on the grave register says the grave was purchased by Jane Ferguson in 1943 - long after the burials took place.

Someone may come along and be able to confirm/deny this but I believe that a head stone could not be erected on an unpurchased grave so originally this was technically classed as a public grave. Because, by this time frame, cemeteries had rules about there being a 7 year gap (not sure if that time frame varied from one cemetery to another) before unrelated people could be buried in the same grave then as these people were all related it was possible for hem to al be in the same grave.

If Jane Ferguson was perhaps one of Peter and Maria's children, then it would be reasonable to think that she purchased the grave at a later date to  be able to erect a headstone in memory of her parents ( ? and siblings?)

Boo

<off to eat dinner now>

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 July 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
Piranha -- are you aware that he is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial
According to the CWGC's description of the Chatham Memorial, it is for those with no known grave. They might be interested to hear that it's now known. There is a form to report such matters under FIND RECORDS/About our Records.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 July 21 17:43 BST (UK) »
According to the CWGC link AllanUK provided,  his service no was J7715.
I've just looked at his service record and he appears to have died at Chatham Naval Hospital There is a corresponding death reg in Medway District.

I assume that, as he died in the RN hospital while serving, the Navy would have records of what happened to him.
So I am bemused that he was deemed to have 'no known grave' . The Navy would have had records both of his n.o.k. and regarding the release of his body for burial.
They possibly even arranged for his body to be returned to the North East.

Boo