Author Topic: Naval record - coastguard abbreviations  (Read 321 times)

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naval record - coastguard abbreviations
« on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello  I have a Naval record for  someone who served on various ships over about 15 years and then transferred to the Coastguard service. It is the coastguard references I would appreciate some help with .

The record is from UK Naval Officer & Rating Service 1862 - 1919 ( piece 076 Admiralty Ratings 1869 April - Sept)

His name is William Madden ( baptised Gravesend 1827)
After the list of ships comes the record for coastguard service

29 Nov 1856 Coastguard boatman  .
14 Dec 1859  ........   
After that it is just abbreviations which I can’t understand - can anyone help me please?

I’m sorry I haven’t posted the actual record (which I found on Ancestry) but am working on an iPad and unsure how to do all the technicalities for that

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naval record - coastguard abbreviations
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
The next rank up from boatman was Commissioned Boatman.  One of the words looks like an abbreviated version of commissioned.https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/coastguard-officers/

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
The TM. could mean    tempoy exn = temporary extraman

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
Firstly thank you to ShaunJ for providing the link to the document. I think you are correct MaxD and tonepad with your reading of two of the abbrieviations - commissioned boatman. And temporary extra man as both make sense.

Also the link to all the documents from the NA! What a detailed set of records and so logically organised the whole. I have had as look at some of the Establishment  books and found William Madden in ‘England part ll Berwick to Ramsgate’ - looks like to me, if I’ve understood it correctly, that he was transferred from Southwold to Walton Gap. I can see I’ve got to spend some time working through the books to get aNoverall views of his service.

Thanks once again for providing these links.