Author Topic: Jenkinson family of Tanfield Village  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkinson family of Tanfield Village
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 July 21 00:40 BST (UK) »
AllanUK

I can tell you that the pub closed its doors for the final time in 1854/55 as conversion of the building to apartments took place around that time.

Do you happen to know what happened to him after that?  Did he return to being a tailor or did he take on another pub?

Neville

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 July 21 10:34 BST (UK) »
AllanUK

I can tell you that the pub closed its doors for the final time in 1854/55 as conversion of the building to apartments took place around that time.

Do you happen to know what happened to him after that?  Did he return to being a tailor or did he take on another pub?

Neville

Hi Neville,

Thank you for letting us know when the Wheatsheaf Inn closed it's doors.

Jacob continued to live in Tanfield working as a Tailor / Draper. He died on 7 December 1892, he was living at Clough Dene House, Tanfield.

Allan

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 July 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
I am not sure exactl which house that is but Clough Dene had some quality housing - and still has today.  It is a nice area well away from the main village so I imagine he was doing quite well!

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
I am not sure exactl which house that is but Clough Dene had some quality housing - and still has today.  It is a nice area well away from the main village so I imagine he was doing quite well!

The 1861 Census records that he was employing 2 men, the 1871 Census shows that he was employing 5 men and the 1881 Census shows that he was employing 7 men. Yes, he must have been doing quite well.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 July 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
Do any of those censuses show a house number in the address?  Or do they only show census numbers?  I am having trouble trying to locate the actual house.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 July 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
Do any of those censuses show a house number in the address?  Or do they only show census numbers?  I am having trouble trying to locate the actual house.

Sorry, no house numbers only census numbers.

The 1881 Census for the hamlet of Clough Dene records all residents as living in Clough Dene except for Jacob Rowell and family who are recorded as residing at Clough Dene House.

The 1891 Census shows that Jacob was residing at Dene House. The entries on the same page before him show families living at Harrison Houses (numbers 1 and 2); Swinburn Houses (numbers 1 and 2) and Henderson House. The entries immediately after Jacob show Clough Dene; Wildcat Houses (numbers 1 and 2) and finally Town Head Farm.

Jacob's will shows that he was 'of Clough Dene' when he died in 1892.

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
Clough Dene House (Rowels House in one national census) is definitely the big last house on the left hand side travelling from Tantobie to the Pickering Nook garage. I have a very old photograph of it when it was a market garden.

Wild Cat House was demolished many years ago but there is now a recently built Wild Cat House.

McTalbert

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you McTalbert,

A friend of mine is a member of the family who owned the Market Garden did not know where Clough Dene House was but she thought it might be an earlier name for that house.

I am familiar with the current Wild Cat House but it is obviously too modern to be the same building and I have been told that the original was actually two houses.

In any event, your information is very helpful.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
Clough Dene House (Rowels House in one national census) is definitely the big last house on the left hand side travelling from Tantobie to the Pickering Nook garage. I have a very old photograph of it when it was a market garden.

Wild Cat House was demolished many years ago but there is now a recently built Wild Cat House.

McTalbert

Thank you for this information.

My wife's ancestor, Jacob Rowell, lived for many years at Clough Dene House but she is unaware that it was called Rowels House in a Census, could you tell me which Census it was in please? Also (very cheekily) is there any chance of you letting my wife have a scanned image of the old photograph that you mentioned?

Thank you,
Allan