Author Topic: Jenkinson family of Tanfield Village  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkinson family of Tanfield Village
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 00:10 BST (UK) »
I think the newspapers were Newcastle Courant & Durham County Advertiser of 30 June 1848.

A possibility for Mrs Jackson is the former Catherine Dobie of Tanfield, daughter of Sarah Dobie.

1841 census at Tanfield
Sarah Dobie 85 Inn Keeper
Eleanor Ayres 40
John Jackson 30 Surgeon
Cath Jackson 35

Newcastle Courant 17 Feb 1837
MARRIED the 16th Ult at Tanfield, Mr John Brice Jackson, surgeon of Tantobie, to Catherine, daughter of Sarah Dobie of Tanfield.

ADDED: I think John Brice Jackson may otherwise be John Bird Jackson, who died in 1845.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 00:55 BST (UK) »
Found Catherine in 1851 - she's at Upper Buxton Street, All Saints, Newcastle HO107/2407/125/48

Catharine Jackson 51 Widow, Owner of Houses, b Tanfield
Eleanor Morland 39 Visitor, Widow b Beamish
Sarah E Morland 8 b Newcastle
Joseph J Morland 4 b Newcastle
Jane Dunn 30 Visitor b Dinnington

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
Jomot

Thank you Jomot.  If you are right (and I hope you are!) you have just given me the name of the third pub in Tanfield Village.

In 1828 Sarah Dobie was the landlady of a pub named the Wheatsheaf at Tanfield and I had previously thought this was the Commercial at Tantobie (previously named the Wheatsheaf) but discounted it as I already had a licensee there for that period.

Your statement regarding the marriage places John Jackson from Tantobie and Catherine Dobie  from Tanfield - both were in the parish of Tanfield but this suggests that she was not only from the parish but also the village of Tanfield.

This statement fits all the circumstances and clears up the mystery of apparently two licensees at Tantobie - when only one person can hold the licence.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 01:06 BST (UK) »
Jomot,

Your second post shows Catherine was a widow living in Newcastle in 1851.  This also fits with other known circumstances as the 1851 census also shows that the third pub in Tanfield had an innkeeper named Jacob Rowell so Catherine obviously moved out some time after her husband's death.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 01:11 BST (UK) »
Looking hopeful then :)  Better still....

Newcastle Guardian, 18 Sept 1852
Tanfield Horticultural Society.—On Saturday week, the first meeting of this society was held at Mr Rowell's, Wheat Sheaf Inn

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 01:23 BST (UK) »
Jomot,

That is absolutely fantastic as I am also in touch with the husband of one of Mr Rowell's descendents.  I will have to get a copy of that article and pass it on to him.  He gave me the information about Jacob Rowell and pushed the date forward from 1843 (when I thought the pub closed) to 1851.  Now you have pushed it forward another year!

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 11:25 BST (UK) »
Jomot,

That is absolutely fantastic as I am also in touch with the husband of one of Mr Rowell's descendents.  I will have to get a copy of that article and pass it on to him.  He gave me the information about Jacob Rowell and pushed the date forward from 1843 (when I thought the pub closed) to 1851.  Now you have pushed it forward another year!

Good morning,

I have found the newspaper article that Jomot came up with (thank you Jomot). I have looked at my wife's family tree and I can confirm that Jacob Rowell and family were still living in Northumberland in 1847 when their 4th child was born -- they were living in a village called Ovingham which is near to Wylam on the banks of the River Tyne east of Hexham. They were still living at Ovingham in January 1848 when their 4th son was baptised at the church of St Mary the Virgin. This would suggest that Jacob and his family moved to Tanfield sometime between February 1848 and March 1851 when the Census was taken.

I hope that this little snippet helps you.

Allan

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
It certainly does!  The last mention of Catherine Jackson in the pub was in 1848 so it looks like he moved to take over the pub after her husband died.  Perhaps she kept the pub going until Jacob Rowell took over and he moved to Tanfield for that specific purpose.  I can't see him moving from Ovingham to Tanfield for any other reason.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
It certainly does!  The last mention of Catherine Jackson in the pub was in 1848 so it looks like he moved to take over the pub after her husband died.  Perhaps she kept the pub going until Jacob Rowell took over and he moved to Tanfield for that specific purpose.  I can't see him moving from Ovingham to Tanfield for any other reason.

Jacob was following in his father's footsteps -- his father (also called Jacob) was a Tailor and Innkeeper (Black Bull, WYlam). I agree with your thoughts that he took over the Wheat Sheaf after Catherine lost her husband. I have searched local newspapers in the hope that I could find when the licence was changed to Jacob but I haven't found anything.

Allan