Author Topic: John RENWICK  (Read 1979 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: John RENWICK
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
It's a bit of a puzzle.  It's a long time since Ive used Scotlands people but I recall there was sometimes a good deal of information on death records.  Perhaps looking at the children might throw up something.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
The problem seems to be that the parental information on the marriage and death record differ in vital areas. The other info, husband, widower etc tie up apart from his age. I have already been through the census and records for the MCMILLAN children and it all matches.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 19:32 BST (UK) »
I can see a John and Helen Renwick + daughter Helen, aged 8 in Howbog, Lauder, Berwickshire. John is a shepherd.

Helen Jnr's birth place of birth is "Lauder". I wish I could see the original of the "London" in 1881! It just doesn't fit. Enumerator's transcription error?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
The problem seems to be that the parental information on the marriage and death record differ in vital areas. The other info, husband, widower etc tie up apart from his age. I have already been through the census and records for the MCMILLAN children and it all matches.

Are you referring to the Renshaw/ McMillan marriage and Ellen McMillan death.
Ellen would have provided the details at her marriage,  but obviously not at her death.
Who provided them then.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
It’s the Renwick/McMillan marriage I was referring to. The widower was the informant for the death record. I have just found an amendment to the official register and in it she is shown as Helen. It gets worse!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 21:51 BST (UK) »

.... I have the above, deceased by 1891, who was a First Mate in the Merchant Service.

On which document does John Renwick show as being in the Merchant Service?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 21:52 BST (UK) »

You have not yet provided us with the information from the marriage certificate. Transcribe all details - names, occupations, addresses, names of witnesses. Without all the bits of the puzzle, we cannot help solve it. :)
Death records commonly contain errors, because it depended on the kNowledge of children or other relations who did not always know or remember well.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
I can see a John and Helen Renwick + daughter Helen, aged 8 in Howbog, Lauder, Berwickshire. John is a shepherd.

Helen Jnr's birth place of birth is "Lauder". I wish I could see the original of the "London" in 1881! It just doesn't fit. Enumerator's transcription error?
I agree, it would be useful to see the original 1881 census. “London” could well be a transcript error by Ancestry.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
The marriage in 1874 took place in the Blythwood area of Glasgow, after banns by the forms of the Free Church of Scotland.

Clip below from the online tree.

Witnesses XX MacDonald and Mina Johnston.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk