Author Topic: John Stanton, theatre manager  (Read 605 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stanton, theatre manager
« on: Wednesday 07 July 21 11:49 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to piece together the married life of John Stanton, a theatre manager in northern towns, including Lancaster, Bury and Huddersfield.

Born into a theatrical family in 1758 at Nantwich in Cheshire, he had (at least) three wives, as follows:

1. Helen.  I believe she died in 1804 at Huddersfield.  Is theirs the marriage at Birmingham in                                    1783?

2. Mrs. Francis.  His marriage to her is reported in the Annual Register, 1806, p. 475.  What was her forename?  Did she bring any children with her?  Did they have any?

3.  In 1810 at Manchester Cathedral, he married Frances Maria Timbrell, a widow, of Bury.  Did she bring any children with her?  Did they have any?

Frances Maria was still alive in 1824, when John died at Bath, and she was the main legatee in his will, which was proved in P.C.C..

I would welcome any help in adding details to this picture.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Stanton, theatre manager
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 12:22 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast gives more details of the 1783 marriage:

John Stanton of the parish of St Phillip in Birmingham, a Painter aged 21yrs or more, married Helen Mowatt of the parish of St Martin, Birmingham, also 21 yrs or more.  Licence granted 7th August 1783

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stanton, theatre manager
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, Br1gau.

In addition to being an actor and theatre manager, he was also a scene painter.  So, is that what is meant here by "Painter", I wonder.  I'm not certain at this stage if this is the right marriage, but it's promising.  I must check the witnesses' names to see if they contain a clue.