Author Topic: Died on a Ship  (Read 632 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Died on a Ship
« on: Wednesday 07 July 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
The Weston-super-Mare Gazette of 16th Aug 1862 carries this announcement:  DEATH - On 16th June 1862  at Godone on the West Coast of Africa on board the ship Glenelg, aged 16, Frederick WILLIAMS, eldest son of Mr. Henry WILLIAMS of this town.
I know that Frederick was born in Bridgwater, but what was he doing on the Glenelg?  Was he crew or passenger?  How do I find out more about his death?  Many thanks - Hope this is the right place to post this query!
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Died on a Ship
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
His death is listed in the Register of Wages & Effects of Deceased Seamen;  looks like "illness W.C (?) Africa".
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic - thank you so much!  I think the W C is probably West Coast (of Africa) .  It also tells me that he enlisted in Bristol which makes sense because that is where his family lived in 1861 when he joined up - and I didn't know that he was a crew member. Always find this site is brilliant for giving help when I'm stuck. Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 21 07:44 BST (UK) »
Possibly a Glen Line ship, founded Glasgow in the 1860's, found several ships named Glenelg but 1870's.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 July 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
The vessel in question is GLENAIG official number 24596. Built in 1844 at Bideford, 341 tons. she was owned in 1862  By R & W King of Bristol GLENAIG was registered in Bristol.
R & W King had established trading interests with West Africa, mainly in the Palm Oil Trade. According to Lloyd's Register GLENAIG was a regular visitor to West Africa.
I should imagine Fredrick Williams was an apprentice. Merchant Service Apprentice records are in the series BT150 at TNA Kew but are far from complete.
The Logbooks and Crew Agreements of GLENAIG for 1862 should be in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich. The Logbook should give an account of the circumstances surrounding the death. Is there nothing in the registers and index's of deaths at sea? available from FindMyPast.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 July 21 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that. Deaths at Sea on Findmypast was where I found out it was an illness from which he died.  His effects were returned to Bristol when the ship returned in Dec 1862.  Will try to see the Log Book for more details.  Many Thanks!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
Glenelg spells the same backwards folks! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha!  ;D