Author Topic: Ancestor is not significant  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor is not significant
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
  It is possible that the respondent did not really mean that a fourth gr grandfather ( a direct ancestor) was not significant. He/she may have meant that the relationship to you was so distant as to be not significant (to him/her.)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 18:54 BST (UK) »
I would have hoped that they would have said something like "I'm concentrating on a different part of my tree at present. Can I get back to you at a later date?"
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
To me any ancestor I find is significant, no matter how far back they are. I do show more affinity to some ancestors than others but all are relevant. One of my fave ancestors was born in about 1550. He died in 1597.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 21:49 BST (UK) »
I think they worded their response in quite an unfortunate way. It did come across as rude whatever their intentions were.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 July 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
I feel sure that I have come across the term significant ancestors or ancestors of significance when reading some of the genealogy tomes to describe certain groups of people.

In saying that this ancestor was not significant, rather than insignificant, I just wonder whether they were saying that the relationship between you, or between them and the common ancestor, was not in the significant category as described and therefore labelled not significant.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 July 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
I'm unsure how they ment it, but I had info at the ready to give them regarding our common ancestor. I can understand that the relationship between myself and them isn't ground breaking at all and of course I expected them to not be Interested in my side as not everyone is interested in extended family. But I took it as them saying a direct ancestor isn't relevant in their research. Bit a shame whichever way they meant it but they won't be getting any info from me in the future  :)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
I understand your reaction - but I wish ANYONE would contact me with information concerning almost any of my ancestors! It seems to have been uphill work all the way, and very few others working on any of the same people.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
Im now wondering if i came across as rude when i started research because i was looking for living relatives of my parents so not interested in going back many generations
Now im addicted + find that having distant branches can also help others in their search 

Ross I hope  they  didnt mean to be offensive about your relatives + will regret it in .Significant to what they are looking at would be my interpretation
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
Im now wondering if i came across as rude when i started research because i was looking for living relatives of my patents so not interested in going back many generations
Now im addicted + find that having distant branches can also help others in their search 

Ross I hope  they  didnt mean to be offensive about your relatives + will regret it in .Significant to what they are looking at would be my interpretation

Not researching a particular area of your tree is not rude.  It is just how you relate it that can be the issue.  So for example saying "At the moment I am focusing on....... and haven't done much work in that area"is perfectly polite saying that's not important or what ever is rude iyswim.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others