Author Topic: Microsoft 365  (Read 659 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Microsoft 365
« on: Thursday 08 July 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
I have Microsoft 365 family and have shared it with my daughter, my granddaughter and my husband.  I know when I shared with my daughter and granddaughter it was easy, but when I shared with my husband, for some reason, he didn't seem to be able to get Word but we managed it.  He's recently had a new PC and to get Word had to log into my Microsoft 365 account.  The problem now is that he can see all my Word documents when he opens Word, but I can't see his Word documents.  It's not much of a problem really, but it means I feel he is watching over my shoulder every time I type a Word document, copy a recipe, do my French homework etc.  How can I change this?

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 365
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 21 12:20 BST (UK) »
From the sound of it, you have all of your files stored in OneDrive (or at least copies).   He should have logged on as himself so that he would then access his own OneDrive files (presumably he has his own Microsoft account).

I had something similar to this happen a while ago, I cured it by deleting the invitation to the individual and then re-inviting.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
I tried deleting the invitation and reinviting but it needed a password that he can't remember!  He normally only uses one or two passwords for everything - I know I keep telling him that's wrong - but when he tried to open his Microsoft account he couldn't remember the password as he must have made up a different one.  When he clicked on "Can't remember password" option it said his email address was wrong!

I've looked on his PC and found that he can switch user from me to him and it was switched to my log in.  I've switched it back to his log in now, all will be well unlessl he logs out of Word and can't log back in because he can't remember his password.  Oddly, when I click on Word on my laptop, I don't have an option to switch user to him, even though Microsoft 365 is in my name. 

He thinks he's always been able to view my Word documents but I think the problem has arisen since he got a new PC and couldn't remember his password to set up Word 365, so used my account instead.

I've only recently started using OneDrive as a back up - suggested by a computer bod - but that doesn't seem a good idea if other family members on Microsoft 365 can see all my files.  I've closed it now and will have to find another way of backing up my laptop.

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
I think you have something fundamentally wrong - I share MS 365 with family and each of us has our own file structure and OneDrive.   None of us can see or access each other's files.

Are you sure that they are not all using your login credentials?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
When I sent my daughter and her son an invite, they had no problems connecting to 365 and they can't see my files and I can't see their's. 

I think the problem has arisen since OH got his new laptop and couldn't remember his password to connect to 365, so he used my email and password, so effectively I'm connected to 2 different PCs.  I tried sending him another invite but he needed his own password to connect and he can't remember it.  As I explained earlier, when we then tried to get a new password for him, we got a message saying his email address wasn't recognised.  So for now, we've given up.  I've ditched OneDrive, as you suggested that might be part of the problem and see what happens next.

I don't suppose it matters too much but it just means whenever he goes into Word, he brings up a list of my recent documents too.