Author Topic: Scottish Surname Look Up: Anderson / Weir - ANY info  (Read 972 times)

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Surname Look Up: Anderson / Weir - ANY info
« on: Thursday 08 July 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I would like to learn more about my Scottish ancestors.

The Weirs appear to have links to Hay Hill Farm, Cadder and Barmulloch Farm, Glasgow which I am keen in hearing more about.

I am looking for information on their wives, children and any addresses they're linked to.

I believe William Findlay Weir was a Scottish professional footballer and later joined the Royal Engineers where he was posted to the Western Front. William rose to the rank of Sergeant and I am interested in hearing more about his military career.

John Anderson (18 Oct 1859)
Plewlands, Drainie, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom

William Anderson (1887–1967)
New Spynie, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom

George Weir Anderson (15 June 1889-1944)
1889–1944
Elgin, Moray, Scotland

John Anderson (26 March 1912-1968)
Scotland

William Weir (21 April 1811 - 09 May 1882)
Barony, Lanark
Death: Cadder, Lanarkshire

William Weir (12 February 1846 - 1916)
Shipyard Engineer Laborer
Hay Hill farm, Cadder, NW Springburn, NNW Glasgow

David Weir (1852 - 1917)
Cadder
Shipyard Timekeeper

William Findlay Weir (18 APR 1889 - 9 JUL 1918)
Lenzie, Dumbartonshire

William Findlay Weir Corporal 251459 5&6th Royal Scots

John Anderson F/Sergeant
B:26/03/1912
D:25/05/1968 Scotland

John Anderson son of George Weir Anderson married Sarah Nimmer Hood Stewart on the 5th of October 1939 in the District of Blythswood in the Burgh of Glasgow. He was 27 years old at the time. John's profession was listed as 'Leading aircraftsmen, Royal Air Force' and his usual residence was listed as 'Royal Air Force Station, Montrose'.

On the 10th of September 1944 John and Sarah had a baby (now deceased). At this time, John's occupation was listed as a 'Sergeant, Royal Air Force' and his usual residence was listed as '169 Shamrock Street, Glasgow', which I believe were barracks.

Kind regards

Terri

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Surname Look Up: Anderson / Weir - ANY info
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
You really need to be more specific about what you are after to save us spending time looking for information you already have  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Teshhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
You really need to be more specific about what you are after to save us spending time looking for information you already have  ;)

Hi Rosie,

I've updated my original post a little more. I am particularly interested in the farms the men lived/worked on and the careers they had such as the shipyard or ships they may have worked on.

William Weir (12 February 1846 - 1916)
Shipyard Engineer Laborer
Hay Hill farm, Cadder, NW Springburn, NNW Glasgow

David Weir (1852 - 1917)
Cadder
Shipyard Timekeeper

John Anderson F/Sergeant
B:26/03/1912
D:25/05/1968 Scotland

John Anderson son of George Weir Anderson married Sarah Nimmer Hood Stewart on the 5th of October 1939 in the District of Blythswood in the Burgh of Glasgow. He was 27 years old at the time. John's profession was listed as 'Leading aircraftsmen, Royal Air Force' and his usual residence was listed as 'Royal Air Force Station, Montrose'.

On the 10th of September 1944 John and Sarah had a baby (now deceased). At this time, John's occupation was listed as a 'Sergeant, Royal Air Force' and his usual residence was listed as '169 Shamrock Street, Glasgow', which I believe were barracks.

I am particularly interested in finding out about John's later life including where he passed away.

Kind regards

Terri

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:03 BST (UK) »
Re John's place of death - you will need to use www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to get that info.  It is a pay per view site and as he died more than 50yrs ago you will be able to download a copy of his death cert 

We would not be able to help with info re his life after 1944 as records after 1939 are scarce.

Re info about the farms & shipyards.  Have you Googled to see what shipyards were around Cadder at those times?  If there were several - it will be difficult/impossible to determine which one they worked at.  Also - it is extremely unlikely any personnel records still exist.

If you are looking for any marriages/deaths etc then you will need to use Scotlands People

There is a death in 1918 for William Findlay Weir aged 32 in Steyning  which is Sussex
www.freebmd.org.uk

He is not shown on www.cwgc.org although a tree on Ancestry shows it as a war death & says he was buried in Glasgow
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:38 BST (UK) »
Is it a coincidence that Sarah Nimmo Hood Anderson died 1968?  No death for John in 1968
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)