Author Topic: Where is Terry  (Read 1567 times)

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Terry
« on: Thursday 08 July 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
The attached is an extract copy from Castlebar No 2 Registrars District for 1901 recording the death of Mary Henighan (364) she is shown as having died in where I believe is Terry but I cannot find this place at all. I am not sure where the No2 registrars district covers but I was hoping that it was somewhere down towards Manulla or Balla, a pointer in the correct direction would be appreciated

Thanks - GedB

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Terry
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
The dates of death and the census don’t quite match though.

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya Heywood, some of the other places on that record, Taurnagh - Ross - Muckanagh - Pollawarla (I think they are spelt correctly) are up to the north of Mayo so i had looked at both Terryduff and Terrybaun so that could well be the area although it seems strange for the registrar to leave half the name off.

The husband of Mary was called Pat and he is believed to have died in Kilmacrade in 1880 and the son mentioned on Marys death certificate was born in 1844 somewhere in the Aughadrinagh /Mount Daisy area where the family were based at that time.

I think that I will have to dig deeper around the Terryduff and Terrybaun areas.

Thanks - GedB

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
I have only checked Annie’s birth which shows mother as Bridget Burke
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02354/1879653.pdf

There is a marriage here for Patrick Henehan, Terrybaun, and Bridget Bourke but his father is Martin.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11300/8145436.pdf

Here is the death you refer to in Kilmacrade
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06484/4865629.pdf

The informant is son Michael who seems to be here in 1901 with a mother Bridget. Confusing  ;)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Manulla/Kilmacrade/1582791/

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 July 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
Who or which family are you searching?
Is it Pat from Aughadrinagh?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
i had looked at both Terryduff and Terrybaun so that could well be the area although it seems strange for the registrar to leave half the name off.

My granddad's townland was known by the first part of the name. The townland his brother moved to after he married has 2 names plus part of it has a name which is the townland's name with a prefix. Any of the 3 placenames are on BMD registration of his family. 
Cowban

Offline gedb2b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 July 21 09:48 BST (UK) »
heywood you were correct a bit earlier when you said it was confusing, I am searching for details on Patt Henaghan who married Mary Broderick sometime in the mid 1830s, we have baptism records from Castlebar for five children with the parents being named correctly, Mary 1839, Patt 1844, Mary 1846, Anne 1847 and Bridget 1852 with Mount Daisy being mentioned just the once with Bridget and that is where the family were based, any details from then forward are quite confusing with multiple different spellings of the family name but we are slowly trawling through the records.
I have checked out the 1901 census you mentioned and so far have found one matching birth record that I need to check further with the mother named as Bridget Burke but there is no marriage record to Patt Henaghan coming to the surface yet.
Maiden Stone is correct about the abbreviation because the birth place is shown as Terry whereas the census is in Terryduff, you certainly live and learn.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 July 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
I have seen some Broderick references so will take a look.
The Bourke reference doesn’t seem to be yours as father was Martin.

Just to be clear, are you therefore looking for Patrick Heneghan and Mary Broderick? Do you have their children from baptism/birth onwards?