Author Topic: Army Orphans ?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Army Orphans ?
« on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hit a brick wall for William Oakley b1834 - (now one source gives his birth as Cork another as Gibraltar), now the 70th Foot leave Cork for Gibraltar in 1834 (so born in Cork & christened in Gibraltar?) would this be possible?

His possible Father James Ockley? was a Lance-Corporal in the 70th Foot(have the birth Cert) the Regiment leaves Gibraltar for Malta in 1836 and James & his Wife Anne Walton? has a daughter (just before an outbreak of Cholera) and she dies - then the 70th go to the West Indies (Barbados) in 1838 ..after that nothing

What happens if they both die in the West Indies? would William become an Army orphan (Drummer boy?)  or something else...he resurfaces  in Ireland in 1847 and enlists in the 70th Foot aged 13/14) on the Marriage Cert it says he fathers name was also William Oakley to add to the confusion and I can not find anything more about hes possible Father James  - any thoughts please
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army Orphans ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
I think I am right in saying that the West Indies was a very bad place for various diseases in those days and a lot of soldiers died there.

Offline Jeff Guyett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Army Orphans ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:30 BST (UK) »
yes , wrecked many a Regiment
GUYETT, GUYATT, OAKLEY, BIRD, MILLWARD, Hancey, SHORTLAND, GLASS, Hewitt, Fabian, OAKLEY, LINSELL, Stone. JEFFERY, SAUNDERS, DEWEY