Author Topic: Can you help to solve an Indian mystery?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help to solve an Indian mystery?
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 11 July 21 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's all there is as reference and it works. I have ordered overseas army certificates before.

Thank you very much for your help

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Me again.
I've ordered the death cert from the GRO for him.

In the meantime, I've come forward a generation and would much appreciate help with finding the four children he had with Agnes Cristabel Coombs in India.

It's important to note that she re-married, in 1935, in India, to Anthony Horne and therefore she changed her surname - and those of her four children - to HORNE.

Specifically:

Eldest was Audrey Ellen Maud Coley born 1923. Her eldest nephew believes she never married and never had children but that she left India late 1940s/early 50s and settled at 64 Belgrave Road, Wansted in East London and then moved to Birch Hill, Bracknell, berkshire where she died around 2010.

Questions:

1) I've found a death record 2015 in Surrey for Audrey Horne on GRO but the timings don't fit too well with what her nephew recalls. Can anyone find a different death record?

2) Can anyone find a marriage record - just in case she did marry?

3) I've found an emigration record from Bombay to London in 1947 with Audry Horne but it states she was going to a hotel in St Andrews in Scotland. Bit strange as no connections with Scotland. And Bombay was miles from where they lived in India; all the others departed from Calcutta. Can anyone find anpther emigration record pls?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Also: Barbara Louie Coley - changed surname to HORNE as well. She left India with her sister to go to Singapore. Met a Canadian - Mike KURDYLA. Lived in Montreal and had four kids.

I've found her travelling from Rangoon-London-Montreal (what a trip!) in 1949 and I know it's correct as she gave the address of another one of our relatives in the UK.

I cannot find her marriage on Ancestry, FindMyPast or KS. Can anyone help please? I do not know the location: could have been Singapore, Rangoon, Hong Kong, England or Canada. She looks to be travelling alone from Rangoon-Montreal: nobody called Kurdyla on board.

Kurdyla surname is correct as I remember sending Xmas cards to them in Canada 20 years ago. And have found her death in 1979 in Montreal. But cannot find the marriage - can anyone help pls?

PS - she had four children, probably living so won't name them.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
And finally, David Walden Coley. Surname changed to Horne as a boy but as a man he used COLEY.

b 17 Dec 1927, India.

Last seen as a teenager on a train to Bombay. Turned up 50 years later in England having tracked down his sisters (all of them - and him - now deceased) and said he had been in the army in India (probably British Army), got sent to prison for murder and disowned by the parents. Have no idea about whether this is correct but that's apparently what he said.

Died in England.

I have found his birth and death. That's all. Cannot find ANY record of him leaving India. And wondered if anyone could find a record of the murder - I don't have a newspaper subscription and nothing that I can see on FindMyPast, Ancestry, FS or google about it.

Many thanks for any help.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to help with any of these please? Would be so grateful as am stuck.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
I think you'll find several people are working on these people but may not have anything to report just yet. It's been a hot day in many places too so gardening may have taken priority after all the rain   :)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 15 July 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
I think you'll find several people are working on these people but may not have anything to report just yet. It's been a hot day in many places too so gardening may have taken priority after all the rain   :)

Super, I hope so, that would be fab. Don't want to be impatient or demanding but it's frustrating to be stuck when one has the bit between one's teeth  ;D

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 15 July 21 22:10 BST (UK) »

I have found his birth and death. That's all. Cannot find ANY record of him leaving India. And wondered if anyone could find a record of the murder - I don't have a newspaper subscription and nothing that I can see on FindMyPast, Ancestry, FS or google about it.

Good luck with your search.  I stopped by to mention that local libraries usually have membership of some genealogy websites including the British Newspaper archive in London and the facilities are offered free of charge to library members.   My library gave me a plastic card with a membership number on it, which I use at home, so that I can gain free access to sites the library is a member of.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 15 July 21 22:12 BST (UK) »

Thank you, I'll look now at my local library for this

Good luck with your search.  I stopped by to mention that local libraries usually have membership of some genealogy websites including the British Newspaper archive in London and the facilities are offered free of charge to library members.   My library gave me a plastic card with a membership number on it, which I use at home, so that I can gain free access to sites the library is a member of.