Author Topic: 1911 Census Entry in St Elizabeth Home, Green Street, London  (Read 1703 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census Entry in St Elizabeth Home, Green Street, London
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 July 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
He was born, in January 1911, at 26 Howards Road, the house used for births for the women from the (Church-run) St Elizabeth Home. He was christened at a local church at the beginning of February, but died three days later at the house in Howards Road. He had lived for 13 days,
It was obviously very risky to take a very young, perhaps already very sick, baby to a church, in February, for baptism.

Even though the child's baptism appears in a church register it doesn't mean he was actually baptised in the church. Being winter, and the child sickly, it's possible the baptism took place the the Home.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
To jonw65 Thank you! I will indeed continue checking on Rootschat to see if any more information emerges about St Elizabeth Home. If I find out any information about the child's burial, which might be helpful to other researchers, I will post my findings. Many thanks for your time and expertise!

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
To aghadowey  Thank you for your reply! I wasn't aware that a baptism recorded in a church register might have taken place somewhere other than the church. Under the circumstances, that is particularly reassuring to know. Thank you for your time!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 08:31 BST (UK) »
This happens even in recent times. I remember about 20 years ago during Sabbath service a 'dedication' (not sure if that is the correct term) for an infant and he explained the baby was born in hospital and baptised immediately as not expected to live but the ceremony proceeded along much the same lines as a traditional baptism in church. In the register the date of baptism is the hospital ceremony.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 July 21 17:22 BST (UK) »
To: aghadowey Thank you (and apologies for my delay in replying)!  It is very kind of you to post this up-to-date information. I have come to realise that records are not always as straightforward as they may seem at first glance. It's most helpful to have expert advice on the various possibilities...   Very best wishes!