Author Topic: A minor point on LDS "sealing"  (Read 2027 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: A minor point on LDS "sealing"
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 July 21 16:50 BST (UK) »
Reply 12
I totally agree. the free access to records from Lds is amazing

Im a total non believer but interested in all religions
I didnt use to believe in ghosts or time travel
Either but personal experiences indicate spooky coincidences and events which are hard to explain.

+ I had a spiritual moment when i heard the men sing a Russian song  in a synagogue.

Maybe my ancestors reaching out to me.

& Take bits from several for ethical moral happy living
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 July 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
I'm very respectful of anyone's beliefs and don't for one minute insist my own ideas are necessarily right.  Mine are what I'm comfortable with.
I'm more concerned with how someone who does have religious convictions would feel about this sealing being done to one of their close relatives.

Someone with strong religious beliefs would surely be able to feel confident that their God would set it right.    :)

My take on this - and I, personally, gave up religion at the age of 13 - is that our ancestors had their OWN religious beliefs AT THAT TIME.   Why do we, in later years, think that we have the right to alter their history?  I am sure that a couple of people in one of my families would definitely NOT agree to their being 'sealed' into a different religion - both were Ministers.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 July 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
"both were Ministers"

If I totted them up, I would probably have some two dozen ministers, missionaries and deacons, not to mention hordes of miscellaneous church ladies in my tree.  None was a Mormon and I doubt that any of them ever even considered joining the LDS.  Perhaps they would have been offended to know that they would be posthumously "sealed" by someone claiming to act on their behalf [if, indeed, this indignity has befallen any of them] but they're dead now, parts of the atmosphere, soil and biosphere, so their feelings are  irrelevant.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 July 21 17:43 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure why their feelings are irrelevant.  They were, like everyone else in the world, WHO they were WHEN they were.  What gives anyone the right to change that, at a later date, to suit their own current ideals?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 July 21 17:53 BST (UK) »
I'm very respectful of anyone's beliefs and don't for one minute insist my own ideas are necessarily right.  Mine are what I'm comfortable with.
I'm more concerned with how someone who does have religious convictions would feel about this sealing being done to one of their close relatives.

Someone with strong religious beliefs would surely be able to feel confident that their God would set it right.    :)

My take on this - and I, personally, gave up religion at the age of 13 - is that our ancestors had their OWN religious beliefs AT THAT TIME.   Why do we, in later years, think that we have the right to alter their history?  I am sure that a couple of people in one of my families would definitely NOT agree to their being 'sealed' into a different religion - both were Ministers.

Surely they would regard any actions by adherents to another religion as irrelevant claptrap.  Don't you think that they would have confidence in their God to set it right? 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 July 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Surely they would regard any actions by adherents to another religion as irrelevant claptrap.  Don't you think that they would have confidence in their God to set it right?

As a non-believer, I can't answer that.  However, as they were already dead by the time they were "sealed" ..................
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:12 BST (UK) »

As a non-believer, I can't answer that.  However, as they were already dead by the time they were "sealed" ..................

Well, it's not about what you believe, but what they believed, isn't it? 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:12 BST (UK) »
"Not quite sure why their feelings are irrelevant."

Why?  Simple, because they're dead and dead people don't have any feelings.  As for their feelings while they were alive, many of them devoted their lives to imposing their religion on other people, so they would have had few grounds for complaint.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 July 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Australia's 2021 census day is currently being advertised and can be lodged online.

I am sure one of my cousins is at the ready, expecting the optional question about religion will be there.   I am not sure of their response, as it is either  Pastafarians or Calithumpians, depending on their whim at the time.   I think others in that household have responded in past years with Jedi Knights, Pollyannaists, and Granmahsmadd.

I doubt any of my cousins family would expect to be sealed after cremation and Ashes scattered....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.