Author Topic: How to search the records of one particular London church ?  (Read 456 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to search the records of one particular London church ?
« on: Friday 09 July 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
HIi,
On Ancestry, can I search the records of one particular church without having to flick through every page?
eg I know that there were four Coombes children baptised in St Mary Magdalene Church, Woolwich, London: Samuel 1727, Mary 1728, William 1730 and Susannah 1731.

Now I want to find the marriage of the parents, or their deaths; I'm thinking it'll be in the same church but the nearest I can find using a general Ancestry search is not in the same London areas.

Is there a way of seraching just the records of the church in Woolwich? If so, can you give me an idiot's guide how to do this please?

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How to search the records of one particular London church ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
go to the image for samuel coomes baptism this will take you to the book for 1719 -1730 on images at bottom go to image 44 that is start of marriages for 1719 - 1730
if you want to go earlier than that press on top of page at the date and scroll down to date you want
baptisms and burials and marriages are in same books but you have to search through images!
great fun   sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
go to the image for samuel coomes baptism this will take you to the book for 1719 -1730 on images at bottom go to image 44 that is start of marriages for 1719 - 1730
if you want to go earlier than that press on top of page at the date and scroll down to date you want
baptisms and burials and marriages are in same books but you have to search through images!
great fun   sandie

Thank you, so there is no way of making the technology find it; you do have to read every page?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 21 07:01 BST (UK) »
great fun   sandie

Thank you, so there is no way of making the technology find it; you do have to read every page?

If you want to be sure yes you have to search every page within the time period and sometimes beyond. You can rely on technology but Optical Character Reading (OCR) software though good it not yet perfect and still makes many errors with printed characters let alone handwritten.
Handwriting Recognition has come on in leaps and bounds but still struggles for anything other than simple filled forms.
Most online datasets have been either transcribed manually or checked for accuracy manually but even so many words are assumed and one person may not see the same word as another. If you want to be certain you have not missed the marriage read every page yourself, sometimes more than once.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.