Author Topic: Thomas Nodder of Wellington 1850-1880. Any info esp. who did he marry?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nodder of Wellington 1850-1880. Any info esp. who did he marry?
« Reply #81 on: Monday 12 July 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
I think W.S. and W.C.T. in this case relate to titles of  positions in the Pearl of Peace Lodge.
(which judging by the advertisements seems to be generally involved in providing entertainments).

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 12 July 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Of course. Should have noticed that. A lot of Nodders were Wesleyan Methodists and members of various Temperance etc societies - Rechabites, Templars etc.

There seems to have been a prominent John Nodder in Thames who was also active in these societies up there. He ran Ironmongers/Bookshop/Stationers in Thames for a long time. I suspect, though, he is part of a Nodder branch originating from Truro, Cornwall and not related to 'our' Wellington Nodders.

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 12 July 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
Some William Nodder details:

Born 2feb1852 Torpoint, Cornwall, baptised 1853 i.e. 21 years younger than Thomas.
He was 10th and last child of Thomas Nodder and Maria Leader
Married Jane Cretch  sep Q 1878 Stoke Damerel, Devonport
They had 10 children at regular intervals 1879 until 1902 when William dies aged 49.
Jane lives on until 1936.
William was an engine fitter in Chatham Dockyard, Kent for most of his life and the family are recorded at various addresses in Gilliingham in censuses of 1881, 1891, 1901. In 1871, before he married, he was a Royal navy Engineering apprentice in Devonport dockyard.

One of Thomas's uncles was a William Nodder of Torpoint, lived 1796 until 1864 in Torpoint, Shipwright. His eldest son was named, you've guessed it, William, and was born 1825. I've never followed him up. I know someone who is doing a One-Name-study of Nodders who may be able to provide details...

Last, here's a link to a note I wrote about two other brothers of Thomas and William a couple of years ago.  https://www.meldrethhistory.org.uk/people/family_histories/families-miscellaneous/the_nodders_of_north_end_meldreth

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 12 July 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
For anyone still reading this loooong thread, here is an early photograph of Thomas's brother, Richard Nodder and his family dating from the 1870s or 1880s.

The group are standing in front of a house in Torpoint, Cornwall, called 'Wellington Cottage', where the family were enumerated in 1881 and 1891. The name may be a reference to the famous Duke, who died 1852, but I just wondered if it could possibly be a reference to the New Zealand city.  Probably not, but we shall, I'm sure, never know.

If you look closely at the picture you will see that Richard (with the beard on right side of pic.), has no left hand. It was, the story goes, blown off when, as a child, he put his hand in front of a cannon which had misfired. That certainly precluded him joining several of his brothers in the Navy.

Thanks again to all of you for being so helpful.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 12 July 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
What a treasure of a family photo.  I love the way the lady at the back is posing. :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 12 July 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
The Pearl Of Peace Lodge was part of the Independent Order of Good Templars. [I.O.G.T.]

W.S. = Worthy Secretary

W.C.T. = Worthy Chief Templar.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 12 July 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
What a treasure of a family photo.  I love the way the lady at the back is posing. :D

I think one of the old ladies at the front must be Maria Leader, Richard's mother, born 1808. That's 210 years ago!! It is so nice when there are pictures to breathe life into the dry names and dates...

Offline TadlowNewell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 19:47 BST (UK) »
For future readers who might come across this thread while researching the Nodder or Slark family, here is a quote from this website which I recently stumbled across. It adds a bit more detail about the Slark(s) 'family'.

https://www.familytreecircles.com/u/ngairedith/?&next=505

"John Slakes married Lucy Clark on 21 July 1833 at Brenchley, Kent. They had a daughter, Sarah Jane 'Sal' Slarks (1834-1899). They had a son John Slarkes in 1837. On the 8 Jan 1841 they sailed from London on the Lord William Bentinck, arriving in Port Nicholson 19 May 1841

* Daughter Sarah married Joseph Hilborne James in St Peter's, Wellington 23 Sep 1865. In Jan 1871 Sarah James, alias Sal Slarks was charged for drunkenness for the 31st time and again sent to prison with hard labor. At times, she & her father were charged together. In Jan 1873 Sarah was sentenced to 3 months hard labor. She died of a stroke aged 64 & buried Karori

* Son John married Martha Burkett (1839-1882). In Feb 1866, his wife Martha, with whom he was not living, and Thomas Nodder, were charged with having committed an assault upon John. He said he had occasion to correct one of their children, when his wife came in and pulled him to the ground and struck him several times on the head with a gutter spike. Nodder came in, knelt down and commenced punching him under the ribs. One night in Aug 1866 Martha was in Mrs Dixon's house in the Wairarapa

Wellington Independent, 11 March 1865 John and Lucy Slarks, an aged couple (52 & 49), were charged with keeping a brothel. The jury returned a verdict of 'Guilty' and his honor's sentence was that John Slarks be imprisoned for two years with hard labor and Lucy Slarks for eighteen months with hard labor. A few days after release Lucy was in front of the judge charged with drunkenness
In June 1872 at about midnight, John was lying dead drunk on the floor of his cottage at Kaiwarra when his neighbour, having been shaken awake by his children, broke into his house through a window to find him lying in the middle of smoke and flames.

NZ Mail, 20 Dec 1873 The other day an old woman (57) named Lucy Slarks came to a sad and untimely end, after a long course of hopeless dissipation. Some men passing along the Hutt road at an early hour in the morning found what at first sight might have been mistaken for a bundle of dirty rags lying on the road side, but on nearer inspection it proved to be the lifeless corpse of a woman, by whose side lay an unfinished bottle of beer. Facts subsequently disclosed show that the unfortunate creature had dissipated her husband's weekly wages in a drunken carouse, had staggered about the road, trying in vain to walk along the Hutt Road to Ngahauranga, every now and then falling, at last falling and striking her head against a stone, never becoming conscious and was found the next morning having died in a fit of apoplexy.
.. 3 weeks later ..
Evening Post, 15 Jan 1874 The body of a man named Slarks was washed ashore at Kaiwarra. The clothes of the unfortunate man have been recognised as belonging to John Slarks, husband of Lucy Slarks, who a few weeks back was picked up dead near the same place. The clothes were identified by a daughter of the deceased. The cause was ruled a suicide probably borne down by grief, consequent upon the melancholy circumstances of the death of his wife. "