Author Topic: Decipher name on back of photo please  (Read 349 times)

Offline Ghosthunter50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Decipher name on back of photo please
« on: Friday 09 July 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can you help decipher the first part please. I got the 2nd name as Powell. This is on the back of a photo/ photo postcard, not sure of date.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher name on back of photo please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 21 23:09 BST (UK) »
F M perhaps?
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 21 23:17 BST (UK) »
I agree with Peter, if the postcard has a divided back then it will have been taken after 1902 when postcards could be sent through the post with a message on the left and the address on the right.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ghosthunter50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 21 06:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Peter for highlighting it more , I tried doing that but couldn't find a way.
Could it be a fancy " W " if so it would make more sense as I could make it fit with the person on the back of photo. Still flummoxed by the first letter though to fit with this person.

Carol thank you for that info
I agree with Peter, if the postcard has a divided back then it will have been taken after 1902 when postcards could be sent through the post with a message on the left and the address on the right.
I can see now there is a faint line down the middle & the gentleman in the photo is in a Soldier uniform.
Jayne

Offline Ghosthunter50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 July 21 06:42 BST (UK) »
I think I've just worked it out as FL. M which might correspond to the wife of gentleman in question.
One step closer to identify the gentleman.
Thank you both
Jayne

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 July 21 07:22 BST (UK) »
F? M. POWELL
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)