Author Topic: 1939 census advice  (Read 1687 times)

Offline cacran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 census advice
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Can you include her birthdate from the 1939 entry.  You have posted on the WR Yorkshire board but say she lived in Birmingham?  Can you clarify?

Are you saying the 1939 entry is under Jones but with 2 subsequent surname changes?

EDIT - Have now found the entry

Veronica  was born 14th May 1916.

She was on the Birmingham 1939 record living with her family.

She is shown on birth certificate as being the wife of Stanley Alfred Sparks. He was my Grandfather. He was from London. He left his wife and family, never returning to them after the war. The next they hear of him was when he turned up  at his wife's who now lived in Bradford, Yorkshire,with his girlfriend, Veronica and they had a baby boy. Him and Veronica left the baby boy with my Grandma to bring up. Then the baby, who was a boy about age 9, was adopted by a couple.
This boy has been trying to find out who his parents were, he is 75 now. He would be my Uncle. I have been traced by a friend of his.
This has lead me to find that she married my Grandfather (bigamist) the married someone with the surname Hurdley.
I have discovered that she was in Bradford in the early to mid 60's so want to find what happened, who she married and where they lived.
I just want to help out.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:24 BST (UK) »

This has lead me to find that she married my Grandfather (bigamist) the married someone with the surname Hurdley.

When and where do you have these marriages taking place
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
There is no evidence that Stanley married Veronica.  It appears that they had a relationship, a son was born and then at some stage they went their separate ways.

Debra  :)

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cacran,
I have sent you a PM.
Regards....Helen
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline cacran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 July 21 16:44 BST (UK) »

I don't have a record, just that on George Edwards birth certificate, Veronica was names as Veronica Mary Sparks formerly Jones. I make the assumption. I have been trying to find a record of these marriages.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 July 21 17:06 BST (UK) »
It is not looking likely that she married either of her 'husbands'.  She would not have had to prove that she was married when she registered the birth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cacran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 July 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
It is not looking likely that she married either of her 'husbands'.  She would not have had to prove that she was married when she registered the birth

Isn't it strange that you could put whatever name you like on a birth certificate? What would make the authorities put another surname on 1939 register. Wouldn't they have to have seen proof either?

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 July 21 06:36 BST (UK) »

Isn't it strange that you could put whatever name you like on a birth certificate? What would make the authorities put another surname on 1939 register. Wouldn't they have to have seen proof either?

No why do think it strange?

An adult in the UK can use whatever name they want to use, there is no official way of changing one's name except by using the new name (there are official ways of changing a child's name) but children's surnames were not put on birth certificates in those days.

No proof of details was asked for census, 1939 Register, Birth, marriage of other official forms until after the late 1980s as far as I know. I cannot remember the exact date offhand.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 July 21 07:27 BST (UK) »

I don't have a record, just that on George Edwards birth certificate, Veronica was names as Veronica Mary Sparks formerly Jones. I make the assumption. I have been trying to find a record of these marriages.

First rule of Family History - Never make assumptions ;D

Should also point out that your grandfather was NOT a bigamist, unless he married someone whilst already married to someone else.

He may have had affairs; he may have lived with another woman; he may have fathered children with different women; but he wasn't a bigamist.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)