Author Topic: Cloud back up - Which do you recommend?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Cloud back up - Which do you recommend?
« on: Saturday 10 July 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
I was using OneDrive but I don't like it as it's just another Microsoft product!  I also thought of Google Drive but, unless it's just me being stupid, it seems as though it doesn't just back up automatically and, then again like Microsoft, it does seem to be everywhere and, apparently, it "reads" your documents and files and then sends adverts related to what it finds.

I just need some help to find a Cloud service that will just back up automatically every day, including all downloaded programs such as Legacy my family history program.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud back up - Which do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
My requirements weren't the same as yours, but when I was looking into this a while ago there seemed to be a few important issues which are probably relevant whatever your needs:

How much space do you need?
Are you prepared to pay for it?
What kind of security/encryption do you need?
Does it bother you which jurisdiction your files are stored under? (eg UK/EU/Canada are generally reckoned to have better data protection for the customer than USA)

With the last question, bear in mind that cloud computing means that any company might use data centres anywhere in the world, but if they are UK-based, say, there's a better chance of them abiding by UK rules.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
I presumed UK adhered to EU regulations pre-brexit, what are UK rules? I ask this because I noticed, as an example, that Comodo certification used to come from overseas, but now post-brexit they can be issued from England. (Under EDIT:Sectigo name if I remember correctly),  I wonder what change in regulations prompted this.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 21 12:26 BST (UK) »
I've looked at a view, PCloud, IDrive, Acronis True Image etc. and it seems most of them, even if you click on the UK version are worldwide companies.  Whether that means each country, or sector has it's own Cloud I have no idea. 

To answer arthurk's questions:

I don't know how much space I need?
I'm prepared to pay but not an extortionate amount
I don't know what kind of security/encryption I need.  I assumed that all the different Cloud providers have good security/encryption.
I would prefer UK/Europe jurisdiction, but then we all use Microsoft and Google and they're US based.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
I've looked at a view, PCloud, IDrive, Acronis True Image etc. and it seems most of them, even if you click on the UK version are worldwide companies.  Whether that means each country, or sector has it's own Cloud I have no idea.
Sometimes a website will tell you where the servers are located, but you might have to dig around a bit. Try the FAQs, or alternatively the privacy policy might refer to cross-border data transfers and the jurisdiction they operate under. If you can't find it, you can always try asking direct.

I don't know how much space I need?
What do you want to back up? Photos and music need quite a lot of space, text files don't. Most providers will give you some idea of what each tier can handle, and usually there's a free starter level which you can use to try the service out before deciding whether to progress to a paid level with more capacity. With one of mine there's no free tier, but as it's a monthly rolling contract I wasn't locked in to a long contract that might not have been suitable.

I'm prepared to pay but not an extortionate amount
Me too - but cheapest isn't always best. I've tended to look at longer-established/better known companies, or up-and-coming ones that get good reviews. I currently have a small free package at a newer firm, and a paid one at a more established one. Cheaper tiers sometimes restrict the number of users, which might be an issue for some people.

I don't know what kind of security/encryption I need.  I assumed that all the different Cloud providers have good security/encryption.
I'm not an expert on this, and others might like to weigh in. The gold standard (I think) would be for everything to be encrypted before it leaves your computer (though this can slow down transfers) and for no-one in the company or data centre to be able to access your files under any circumstances. However, encryption in transit tends to cost more, and in the end I decided that I wouldn't use these services for ultra-sensitive items.

I would prefer UK/Europe jurisdiction, but then we all use Microsoft and Google and they're US based.
Me too. As I said, my requirements aren't the same as yours - because my broadband isn't very fast I decided to rely on backups on demand, rather than running continually in the background. The ones I've chosen are Icedrive (UK company) and HiDrive from Ionos (formerly 1&1 - German) - they seem to work OK for me, but obviously your needs will be different.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 July 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
I'm seriously looking at Pcloud.  It has good reviews, is reasonably priced and the European part of the company is in Switzerland, so Swiss rules re privacy apply.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 July 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
I should have said I don't have that many photos maybe a couple of hundred or so.  Likewise music, the equivalent of about 50 CDs.  I'm not at my laptop now (I'm typing this on my 'phone waiting for Ladies final at Wimbledon to start) so I can't check the exact space I use.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 July 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
Have you considered an external HD. 

For the price of annual payments (or less), you can have your own backup that will last you for many years.

The ones available today are easy to use, programable (you select whether you want the whole drive or just specific files or programs).  They run in the background from a 1 min backup to a daily/weekly depending on your preferences.  They do not slow down your device like the old ones did.  Plus you are not going to be having an oops moment when you are online with your Cloud provider maintaining your files and accidentally delete your trash files without first editing.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 July 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
I considered pCloud as I'd seen good reviews too, but in order to get the free level up to 10GB I had to jump through multiple hoops (install app, refer friends etc etc). With Icedrive I got 10GB free with no such requirements.

For my paid one I went for HiDrive partly because their 100GB lowest paid tier suited me better than pCloud's 500GB, and partly because I already had an account with Ionos and it was therefore a bit easier to set up.

Plus you are not going to be having an oops moment when you are online with your Cloud provider maintaining your files and accidentally delete your trash files without first editing.
Lizzie - you could also look into cloud providers' own backup procedures. Some keep copies of your files for a time after you've deleted them.

(Incidentally, I've been using an external hard drive for years. The cloud was a bit of belt-and-braces, but also for the odd occasions when I might want to access things from out of the house, or on a device that the HD can't connect to.)