Author Topic: Cloud back up - Which do you recommend?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud back up - Which do you recommend?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 July 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
I do have an external hard drive, but when the hard drive went on my previous laptop, we found that I couldn't download my Legacy family tree program from the external hard drive and I thought I'd lost all my years of work.  Fortunately, at the time, Legacy used to back up the program to a cloud so I managed to retrieve it, but they've stopped doing that now, which is why I need an Cloud back up.

DonM - I will look at external hard drives, they are probably a lot better than the one I have at the moment.

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 July 21 20:52 BST (UK) »
I have used Carbonite for years and have been satisfied with the experience.  And yes, I have had to retrieve files and can say that the system works.

:)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 July 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
Good article here on this subject: https://eogn.com/page-18080/10371733
I looked into the system the writer uses but I wasn't prepared to pay the costs of cloud storage; instead I alternate between two external hard drives. If the cost of cloud storage comes down I'll look at it again.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 July 21 01:01 BST (UK) »
I've been using Dropbox for years.
Had one hiccup ages ago, when somehow some files ended up in their Events section; luckily I found and retrieved them all.
The first 2G is free which is a lot of text files but I don't know how many photos that would hold.
Have not looked into costs after the 2G.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 July 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
I've chosen pCloud.  There was 10% off the price for 500GB, when I clicked to choose that one, another 10% offer clicked up, so in the end I paid £38.69 for 1 year.  That seems very reasonable to me.  The invoice address is Switzerland which I expected, so all in all, I'm happy with my choice, even though I doubt I'd ever need 500GB of back up.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 July 21 11:18 BST (UK) »
Good article here on this subject: https://eogn.com/page-18080/10371733
I looked into the system the writer uses but I wasn't prepared to pay the costs of cloud storage; instead I alternate between two external hard drives. If the cost of cloud storage comes down I'll look at it again.

A lot of people will already have access to free cloud storage without knowing it. Norton 360 includes a sizeable chunk, and every Amazon account comes with 5GB. Amazon Prime customers get more, otherwise you can pay for extra. With Norton and Amazon, though, you might have concerns about jurisdiction and/or data centre locations. A free GMX email account will give you 2GB (plus 65GB for emails), and there are probably other similar possibilities.

Among cloud storage companies I've already mentioned Icedrive (10GB free; 150GB for £1.50 a month), and with Ionos HiDrive I get 100GB for £1.20 a month. At those prices, it was more or less a no-brainer. As Lizzie says, the problem is filling it - and admittedly for some people not having very good upload speeds.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk