Author Topic: Evan Morris  (Read 647 times)

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evan Morris
« on: Sunday 11 July 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
I believe my ancestor Evan Morris was born somewhere in Radnorshire in 1779 or 1780 but I have no idea where. Any suggestions of which parish in Radnorshire might have a baptism record for him?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Morris
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
Is it this 1851 census that leads you to believe he was born in Radnor, or do you have other information?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGCN-RYV

This is the only other record on family search; it is the next entry to the above,

Morris Baptism 24 Jun 1779 Knighton, Radnorshire

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 July 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your helpful suggestion of a baptism in Knighton in 1779.

The Evan Morris I am interested in died 26 October 1851 in Monkswood, Monmouthshire; his death certificate gives his age as 71.  In the 1851 census, he is recorded as age 69 and living in Monkswood  with his wife Mary.  It says he was born in Radnorshire - but I have no idea where or the exact date or year  and that is what I am want  to sort out.
Evan and Mary were married in Monkswood on 9 July 1800 by banns.  I take that to mean he was aged at least  21, when married in 1800, so I am guessing he was most likely born 1779 and that would fit with the Knighton baptism in 1779. Are you aware of any potential Radnorshire baptism of an Evan Morris in 1778?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 July 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
No baptisms in Radnorshire on family search or freereg that I can find but bear in mind the death age might be incorrect and the baptism may have been some time after birth.

I did find this on freereg the son of Evan & Mary.

Thomas MORICE Baptism   19 Sep 1819   Monmouthshire   Monkswood: St Matthew: Parish Register

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 21 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again
Diolch yn fawr

Offline vivmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 23 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Evan was married in 1809, Thomas was indeed one of his sons, he was killed a fight outside the Royal Oak, Goytre in 1845.

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 23 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I did know about Thomas Morris, and the fight outside the Royal Oak - Thomas Watts was indicted to Monmouthshire Assizes for the manslaughter of Thomas Morris but was acquitted.
Thanks particularly for pointing out that the marriage was 1809 - I had misread the original parish register. where they had written "1800 and nine" - I had read it as 1800.

Offline vivmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 23 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you. I have been looking at the Morris’s from Llanbister, Radnorshire but cannot find any connection yet.
Have you seen my website Goytre local history there is an article in there about Evan, the most recent one, being witness to another linesman being killed by a train whilst working on the line.
Not on the website Evan 1780, was fined for playing cards on the sabbath.

Offline StDavids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 January 23 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply - good to hear from you also.
As regards Evan Morris, did you know there is a report in the Cambrian in 1833.
"Beer Houses - Caution.  Evan Morris, retail seller of beer, in the parish of Monkswood, Monmouthshire, has been duly convicted before Rev. J.B. Davies and Rev. A Gabb, in the mitigated penalty of 2l. and costs, for having knowingly suffered unlawful games and gaming on his premises on Sunday, the 5th day of May last."
Presumably Evan ran the beer house alongside his other (presumably main) occupation.
The 1830 Beer Act created beer houses.  I think beer houses were controlled by the excise department and as long as some simple conditions were met, beer house licenses were granted automatically and were often just a single room in a house. They could only sell beer. Fully-licensed pubs were regulated by local magistrates, who could grant and revoke licenses. They had longer opening hours and could sell spirits.