Author Topic: Hall Family Missing from 1851 Census  (Read 919 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hall Family Missing from 1851 Census
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 July 21 12:02 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find them no matter what I tried.  One can only assume that they got missed for some reason.
Yes, I tried with just forenames & approximate years of birth, which I am sure you have too. Will have another look to see if any of the houses in Henry Street appear to be 'under occupied'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 July 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have also had a look under surname variants, and just first names, especially for Lydia and Ellen as they were less common than Sarah and Emma etc. Either there was a missing page that has gone undetected or they were missed as others say. I know as I have a similar case.

In 1851 my Quilter family of Leigh On Sea are missing from 1851 taken on 30th March, and on the very same day they baptised 2 of their twin children at the parish church. I have done all the surname variants, and just first names, and found nothing, and even did a trawl through the original scans for the parish and found nothing. I think they were missed from the census, enumerators are only human after all. I once read in a genealogy book that a reason for failure to find ancestor on a census is not just missing sheets but the enumerator may have missed a house or even street.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 July 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Could your ancestors have been lodgers or boarders?

In "Census - The Expert Guide" there's a section on why some people were missing from the census. it says that lodgers and boarders were often the most likely to be omitted.  Lodgers were supposed to be issued with their own schedules to complete and give to the enumerator whilst boarders were supposed to be included on the householder's schedule. This didn't always happen. The householder might forget to include people who were not strictly seen as part of the household. Lodger's schedules might not have been delivered or collected.  Apparently, some enumerators were reluctant to enter certain buildings. 

Malcolm
Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 July 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help. I am guessing that they were just not counted in the census for whatever reason, or perhaps there is a missing page (although that seems unlikely since the other occupants of Henry Street are recorded).

It's interesting to know that other people have struggled with the same problem though! Enumerators are obviously subject to human error.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 July 21 18:15 BST (UK) »
The numbering for Henry Street, Sheffield seems odd.

The odd numbers seem to stop at 9 whilst the even numbers jump about a bit.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk