Author Topic: medical  (Read 725 times)

Offline Kelliemcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
medical
« on: Sunday 11 July 21 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can someone help with a medical problem?

My great grandfather was a 2nd engineer in the merchant navy. In October 1884 he was stretchered from his ship and taken to the infirmary where he died 16 weeks later 1st Feb. 1885 of Aortic regurgitation and obstruction syncope he was 46.

I know the condition relates to the blood vessels not closing properly and allowing blood to leak back causing the left ventricle to work harder. I have also read it can be linked to Rheumatic fever. I don't know if he suffered from rheumatic fever but two of his children died from scarlatina in 1875.

I am trying to understand more of the condition and its effects. Today we go to the doctors who would refer us to hospital but 1885...? I know it's impossible to know the complete picture but understanding more of the condition in a person during the 19th century would help.
Is it possible he could have had the disease for a long time and not known he was ill, putting it down to tiredness or the merchant navy?
Could the children have passed on their fever?
Are there other causes?

Thanks

Andy.

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: medical
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 July 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.

I'm not a medical person but I found this link that might help you to understand the condition: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/aortic-valve-regurgitation/symptoms-causes/syc-20353129

This one might help, too: https://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/cardiology/syncope/

Good luck!

Peter

Offline Kelliemcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to research for me. The links were a great help. 

I read the cause of aortic regurgitation varies from, Congenital heart valve disease, Trauma, Rheumatic fever and Calcium deposits. Knowing his job and the conditions, poor diet, possibly drinking and smoking and stress, all could have been instrumental in the build-up of calcium deposits so there is a good chance that might be the cause of his illness. Obviously, we can never know the true answer.

Syncope relates to a lack of consciousness, so could be he had a heart attack in the hospital.

Andy

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 August 21 05:34 BST (UK) »
As a matter of interest:
I had scarlet fever as a child, and then Rheumatic fever.  My mum used to say I had a "dicky heart" and I wasn't supposed to run and jump around like my friends.  (Needless to say, when out of her sight, I did what I wasn't supposed to!)
I was later told I could expect to be in a wheelchair by the time I was 45.
I'm now almost 40 years past that, and have yet to buy my first wheelchair  :D  :D

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Kelliemcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 23:11 BST (UK) »

Hi Dawn, thanks for your message, good to hear you proved them wrong.

Your story does reinforce my thoughts in that my g, grandfather's illness could have started around the time the children suffered from scarlet fever. He would be about 35 ears old and died 10 years later.

Thanks again

Andy