Author Topic: Matches from continental Europe.  (Read 1350 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Matches from continental Europe.
« on: Monday 12 July 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
Ive traced all my lines back as far as possible,in most cases back into the 1700s,and my research tells me all my ancestors were pretty firmly rooted in this country,mostly Kent,and were mainly agricultural labourers,fishermen,oyster dredgers,general labourers etc.
Ive done a DNA test with MyHeritage,and notice ive got a large number of matches from European countries.124 from Germany,122 from Sweden,119 Netherlands,115 France,89 Denmark ,53 Norway etc.In most cases,the highest in each country are around mid 30s cms,going right down to 8.0cms.So starting at around 3rd-4th cousin level.Does that mean i must have at least one ancestor who came over maybe in the 19th century,as none of my research reveals anything.Some of these matches have lines that exclusively stretch back into the 1700s in their home countries.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Lee.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matches from continental Europe.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Ive traced all my lines back as far as possible,in most cases back into the 1700s,and my research tells me all my ancestors were pretty firmly rooted in this country,mostly Kent,and were mainly agricultural labourers,fishermen,oyster dredgers,general labourers etc.
Ive done a DNA test with MyHeritage,and notice ive got a large number of matches from European countries.124 from Germany,122 from Sweden,119 Netherlands,115 France,89 Denmark ,53 Norway etc.In most cases,the highest in each country are around mid 30s cms,going right down to 8.0cms.So starting at around 3rd-4th cousin level.Does that mean i must have at least one ancestor who came over maybe in the 19th century,as none of my research reveals anything.Some of these matches have lines that exclusively stretch back into the 1700s in their home countries.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Lee.

On the bolded. Were they offshore fishermen or estuary ie did they have opportunity to play away?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

They were both.Ive done there lines,and they are are all rooted here back into 1700s.Having said that,my great grandfather was a Whitstable oyster dredger,and his wifes paternal family are a mystery as her father doesnt appear on any certificates.nor on those of her two siblings.Is it likely these matches are from her,given the amount of cms?the only other line i cant trace back is my mums dad,he was illigitimate,born in Dorset,so i know nothing about his dads family.Is it likely that this ancestor is from one of these two lines,given the cms start in the mid 30s longest segment?

lee.

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 07:47 BST (UK) »
myheritage does seem to throw up a lot of European matches
My 8300 matches include
130 Germany, up to 47.1 cM
123  Netherlands up to 31.0 cM
93 France up to 37.0cM
79 Denmark up to 30 cM
74 Sweden up to 33.8 cM
63 Norway up to 23.5 cM
etc

Other than war service- Nelson's Navy, Waterloo, WWI, WWII and a  Royal Marine ancestor in the 1850s I have no evidence of any of my ancestors (all English, from the Home Counties or the SW) going abroad. So all these connections are mysterious. I have yet to find any relative who migrated to Europe

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
If My Hertage allow it, it could be worth uploading your raw data to other sites to see what matches you get.

You won’t be able to do so with Ancestry though as they don’t like to share.  ;D

I agree that My Heritage gives loads of European matches. It probably relates to their sample populations.

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 19:17 BST (UK) »
I'd also recommend uploading your MyH raw data to other sites.

LivingDNA accept MyH uploads and there is an unlocking fee to get all features, not sure what the price would be now but it used to be cheaper than buying a brand new test from them.

LivingDNA does not have a large cousin matching database but it does break down your autosomal DNA into regions of England, Wales and Scotland. (Ancestry DNA also breaks down into regions but is not as detailed).

If your unknown Dorset line actually originates in Dorset you would expect to get "South England" and your Kent ancestry would come under "Southeast England". Of course you may also get  "Devon" and "East Anglia" as they are the neighbouring regions.

But if you got a different results list for example including areas such as "Northwest England" that could be your unknown line & you could then look at your cousin matches on MyHeri in a whole different light.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 July 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
  Some of my matches on MH  are from European countries, with French, German or Dutch names, but their trees show that they have an English parent, or grandparent - and of course I can only see that because they have a tree.  Lots of them don't.

Unless you have followed up every sibling of each of your ancestors and all their descendents, there is plenty of room for maybe a GGGG uncle to have descendents who travelled to Germany and settled there, or who didn't settle, but left some of their DNA behind, so to speak.

So you and someone from Germany or France might have a common ancestor from the UK, rather than the CA being from one of those countries.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Similar thread here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=812406.0

An interesting point someone on the thread made:

I wonder if it is actually picking up what is known as Identical by Segment, or Identical by Descent, and it is just very ancient links which are for some reason overestimated in MyHeritage. In fact I think I recall Andy Lee from Family History Fanatics saying Ancestry was much more cautious and MyHeritage was one of the least cautious, so you might have much higher cM link to the same person on MyHeritage than the same person on Ancestry. It is hard to make a definitive judgement as you cannot see most tester's country of origin on Ancestry.

I am currently working through my mother's DNA matches on Ancestry and MyHeritage. I too was surprised to find so many matches from continental Europe. The strongest European match is Swedish at 50.3cM, 2 shared segments, largest segment 40.7cM - my mother's ninth highest match!

2nd strongest is Dutch at 48.5cm, 3 shared segments, largest segment 33cM. (However, after looking at our shared matches on the chromosome, I am fairly confident that we share an English ancestor)

It is sometimes useful to put the matches into context by looking at the shared cMs of a match you can identify. For example, my mum's third cousin on MyHeritage shares 46.3cM with her and her fifth cousin once removed shares 41.9cM so you can see how a match can seem close but, in this case, the shared ancestors were born in 1696 and 1697 respectively (granted my mum's 3xGG was 75 when my mum's 2xGG was born so that skips a couple of generations but still)!

I can't see any mention on this thread about triangulating matches using the chromosome browser - did that throw up anything for any of you/have you tried that?

The tools on MyHeritage, like the chromosome browser, are really useful and definitely worth the unlock fee if you are interested in finding out more. I particularly like the AutoClusters feature, which does the work for you.

It pointed me towards this group of Norwegians:

AD 27.9cM
KK 27.9cM
LJ 16.6cM
JJ 13.3cM
EN 13.3cM

We all match on chromosome 22.

They all share an ancestor called Mr X, a Norwegian man born in 1844. I know this because he was married twice and my mother matches to children from both his first wife and his second.

There are many more shared matches (almost exclusively Norwegian/Swedish or American of Scandinavian descent) on this chromosome but the trees aren't detailed enough to figure out how they are linked to this man.

Mr X has a family tree back to the mid-1700s and he has no English ancestors. I am perplexed to say the least! Especially as all my mum's ancestors are English and verified by DNA (except for her great-grandfather who was adopted but the named father on his birth certificate sounds English).

Have any of you discovered a group descended from a common non-English ancestor? Would be interesting to find out!

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 10:00 BST (UK) »
myheritage does seem to throw up a lot of European matches
My 8300 matches include
130 Germany, up to 47.1 cM
123  Netherlands up to 31.0 cM
93 France up to 37.0cM
79 Denmark up to 30 cM
74 Sweden up to 33.8 cM
63 Norway up to 23.5 cM
etc

Other than war service- Nelson's Navy, Waterloo, WWI, WWII and a  Royal Marine ancestor in the 1850s I have no evidence of any of my ancestors (all English, from the Home Counties or the SW) going abroad. So all these connections are mysterious. I have yet to find any relative who migrated to Europe

I read that these 'cousins' self report their location origins???  As a lot of the customers are American and the U.S was a real melting pot, might it not mean that they have family knowledge of a Swede or a Dane but have English Ancestors and it's them you actually match with? 

I am really not sure, one day you read one thing the next another.  I would have thought you should put your location down as where you now live.

There is definitely something very odd and confusing about the way My Heritage does things because I have about 300+ Scandinavian matches, my fathers Y700 result places him in Jutland in the Iron Age but with possible ongoing history deeper into Scandinavia where downstream matches are, PRIOR to coming to Britain, however My Heritage give me no Scandinavian DNA whatsoever.  FtDNA gives me 18%.  Ancestry seem to lump Danish into England which is no great surprise and add Norse separately.