Author Topic: Mystery of a Spalding seaman  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of a Spalding seaman
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 09:48 BST (UK) »
There is a very long article, which appears to be about your missing sailor, available in the British Newspaper Archive. The 'John Bull' newspaper, Saturday 2 March 1929, page 12 of 42.

It's very long so I can't copy it all here, but it includes a photo of a Charlie Atkin and some of these details.

He went by Charlie Atkin and was on a ship from Hull. Annoyingly the print is a bit blurry but it could be Leslie or Lesvic. It was owned by Robert Rix and Sons of Hull.

He went missing in February of 1927. He was attending a carnival in Antwerp, appeared to be in good spirits and had money in his pockets. He never returned to the ship as promised.

His parents, Mr and Mrs J.C. Atkin only found out weeks later. Their address is given as 31, Albert Street, Spalding.

The 'John Bull' newspaper says others have gone missing in a similar way. No mention of him having a wife. The article speculates about what might have happened to him, including being drugged and robbed and dropped in the harbour. His parents admit he spoke about Australia often and there is a slim chance he went there.

The John Bull is calling for an investigation.

I hope it helps, it does seem like a good fit to what you were posting about.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
I would say more than a good fit - good article. I can confirm the ship he was seriving on at the time was the LESRIX official number 147126 owned by Messrs Robert Rix and Sons of Hull. The photo in the article matches the photo that is on his Merchant Navy CR 10 card. If the ship's official logbook has survived there will be an account in there about his disappearance. However, the crew agreement is certainly available for 1927 but you would have to enquire also about the logbook.

BT 99/3928 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2481268 or try the Maritime History Archive in Canada as they probably hold some information that would be relevant to you. https://mha.mun.ca/mha/research/rgships.php
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
In reponce to the last  post by Stanwix England
I believe the vessel maybe the Hull registered LESRIX official number 147126.
As her name suggests, she was owned by Rix Steamships of Hull.
Suggest you obtain her Logbook and Crew Agreement covering February 1927. This should confirm or eliminate wether or not your man was on board.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2481268

Oop's MHA do's not have 1927 Crew Agreements.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:28 BST (UK) »
The last 3 posts are brilliant and clears up the mystery quite a lot, many thanks all of you, will see if I can find the links given,
Regards
Keith