Author Topic: Thingoe marriage 1866 look up please  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thingoe marriage 1866 look up please
« on: Monday 12 July 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
 I know that Emily Farrow married John Balls in Thingoe Q2 1866 Vol 4a Page 669.

Could anyone please find any other details such as marital status, fathers' names etc.?

Thank you.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Thingoe marriage 1866 look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 July 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
Unless there are Parish Records you need to get the certificate from the GRO to find this out. it will cost £11 and you should receive it in about 7 days.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 01:57 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Parish Church in Pakenham
26th April 1866

John BALLS
Widower
Laborer
Residence:  Packenham
Father:  William BALLS,  Laborer

Emily FARROW
Spinster
Residence:  Rougham, Suffolk
Father:  Richard FARROW,  Plumber & Glazier

In the presence of us,

Richard BUTLER
Mary Ann WRIGHT
George MOTHERSOLE ?

There is a tree on Ancestry  :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
The first witness appears to be Richard BULLETT (possibly related to a man of that name who was buried at Rougham in 1864, aged 66).

Although Emily's age was recorded as 39, a baptism in 1830 at Fryerning, Essex, suggests that she wanted to narrow the couple's age-gap.

David

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the help and information  :)

Emily's birth is confusing. On the 1871 census, she is with husband John aged 64 (actually 65 as born 24 March 1806 in Pakenham) and John's grandson, who has an unusual name (Spenceley), so this is definitely the right family. Emily is listed here as a school mistress, age 46, born in Pakenham. This would make her birth about 1825 (and aged 41 when she married). Of course, she could still have been baptised in Fryerning when she was 5 years old. However, a Pakenham baptism with father Richard would make more sense, especially since her residence at time of marriage was Rougham, which is close to Pakenham. So far, such a baptism is elusive.

After 1871 the trail then goes cold.....coincidentally there is another couple about the right ages named John and Emily Balls with a similar age gap that appear on the 1881 and subsequent censuses, and many John Balls from Pakenham, but I can't find any censuses or deaths that relate unequivocally to the couple I am interested in. Any help would be much appreciated  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
If you look at the original page of 1871 census you will see it confirms her birthplace as Ingatestone, Essex (enumerator has not aligned birthplaces correctly having left a gap above them).

In 1881 and 1891 the couple are in Mildenhall where he's a gardener and she is Matron of Cottage Hospital - they get birthplaces wrong in 1881 but correct in 1891.

John Balls died Mar.qtr.1892 Mildenhall - in 1901 widowed Emily is with widowed son in law Robert Lowrie in Kensington, London.   She died that same year Sept.qtr.1901 Kensington.

In 1861 Emily Farrow was a nurse in Worthing, Sussex and although I can't find her in 1851 she gave birth to an illegitimate daughter with same name on 5/10/1851 at Chelmsford Work House.  A tree on Ancestry actually have a copy of the birth certificate.

In 1841 in Ingatestone with widowed mother Ann (father Richard died 1837).   As confirmed by her marriage certificate her father Richard was a Plumber and Glazier.   She was baptised 11/7/1830 Fryerning, dau. of Richard and Ann.  Fryerning is just 2 miles north of Ingatestone.

Emily's daughter of same name married a Robert Lowrie 1876 Belfast (surnames transcribed as Loury and Farron and she shows a ficticious father Henry).  A son Robert born 31/12/1876 Belfast and by 1881 family back in England at Icklingham, Suffolk.

Between them both mother and daughter moved around a bit.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation Annette :)

Although I had found the deaths of John and Emily, I dismissed them as belonging to the couple listed on the 1881 census as Emily born 1830 in Manuden and John born 1811 in Mildenhall, rather than to Emily born 1825 and John born 1806 in Pakenham. Now it all makes sense!

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Emily's baptism at Fryerning on 11 July 1830 confirms that she was the daughter of a plumber named Richard and his wife Ann (Essex Archives Online image 21: entry 286).

Widow Ann was living at Ingatestone in 1861 with 9-year-old granddaughter Emily, who may have been conceived while her mother was employed by Richard and Henrietta (or "Heneritte") BISHOP at Coxtie Green in South Weald, Essex (March 1851 census: HO 107/1774, folio 93, page 18, schedule 63): servant Emily FARROE, 22, born in Essex (transcribed at Ancestry as "Larroe").

David

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 15:19 BST (UK) »

Hi,

A snippet of info. about Emily, an article about the 26th annual general meeting of Mildenhall Cottage hospital contains the following,

Bury Free Press 10 March 1894

"Owing to the resignation of Mrs BALLS who for some thirteen years has presided over the Hospital, it has been necessary to elect a new Matron. Miss MARSTERS having been highly recommended was elected to the post last Michaelmas. It was thought right that the long and faithful service of Mrs BALLS should be recompensed by a gratuity of £10, especially as her failing health made it impossible for her to undertake another situation."

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)