Author Topic: Obituary Wisbeach Cambridgshire John Amos 1883  (Read 2124 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Wisbeach Cambridgshire John Amos 1883
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 07:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not certain that this is the same John AMOS as you have been researching. There are at least 2 other John AMOS in March in the 1871 census. One is a tailor born c1826 who dies in 1881- probably not him (although he was living close to Market Place). The other is a builder  born c1828 who I think dies 1880.

Whilst it is possible that your John took up business in a neighbouring town at age 75 or so (and noting he was still living at North brink when he died), it seems unlikely.  :-\

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
Here is a marriage notice for the daughter of  J AMOS of Bridge House, March -

"HOLAH-AMOS-June 13, at St Peter's Church, March (by the Rev. B. Potter), John Holah to Victoria, elder daughter of Mr. J. Amos, Bridge House, March."
Saturday,  June 25, 1881
Publication: Cambridge Independent Press

John AMOS the tailor had a daughter Victoria born c1856, so I would suggest the advertisements for the brewer, are for him.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
You're absolutely right. 

Just checked census and "my" John Amos married to an Elisabeth Abbott 29th July 1824, St Peter, Wisbech and had only child (so far as I can find at the moment) called Sarah who was born in 1829.

He and Elisabeth lived at North Brink from 1841 census through to 1881 census and was recorded all the way through as either 'Master machine maker' and finally 'Retired Machine maker" in 1881 census.

Grateful you picked this up.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Still having trouble finding a birth rego for him, around 1798-1802, Emneth.  Would be really helpful to have one.
His father's name should be on his marriage cert.  Without having to order it, would be grateful for any help with this.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Father's names did not have to be included on marriage records until 1837. Prior to then, they may be on parish records if you are lucky. After 1754 as I understand it there was only a requirement for names of bride and groom, their status (bachelor/spinster/widow), parish of residence and whether the marriage was by banns or license, signatures and witnesses. Some parish records record more detail, but as I say, only if you are lucky.

I haven't seen the original, but the transcription of the marriage on FreeReg does not give father's names, but does include witnesses: Thomas AMOS and Martha TIMPENY.

Perhaps put a new request on the Norfolk board, and maybe this Cambridgeshire one too for John's baptism. Someone may have access to the parish records. Or you could contact the Cambridgeshire Family History Society.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
Two other names to work with.  Thanks.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas AMOS born c1800 Emneth who appears in the 1841, 51 and 61 census with wife Ann and family at Elm, Cambridgeshire. Probably this marriage - Thomas AMOS and Ann SKELTON at Emneth 26 Jun 1827, however I can only see the transcription. Again, perhaps on the Norfolk board someone may be able to see the original parish record.  :D

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile