Author Topic: WW1 soldier's records  (Read 992 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 soldier's records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
Further to my earlier post.  I see the entry in the database you cited.  I have since established that members of the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (yes there are 2 Royals) later had the digits 38 added to the front of their number and Thomas Powell 7102 and later 387102 has medal records.

BUT, as said boringly before, these have no personal info.  It may be worth contacting the RMRE Museum https://rmonrem.com/museum/ to see if they have anything. 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 08:12 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in the local papers for the area? Many local papers carried names and details of local men who enlisted, especially in the first two years of the war and, later, letters from men serving and details about men who were wounded or home on leave. The local library should hold back copies and there is limited coverage on online newspaper sites such as Find My Past.

Another possible source would be church magazines, although very few of those survive - worth asking the local library and county record centre if they have any deposited with them.

jds1949

Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Ghosthunter50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you jds,
yes I have looked online on our welsh newspaper archives https://newspapers.library.wales/ but alas nothing.  I did however find info on my gg grandfathers on this site. I will however when I get the time go to Bargoed library & find what I can.
Jayne

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 July 21 22:45 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Absent Voters' Lists?
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)