Author Topic: DNA - X Match Query  (Read 542 times)

Offline TheScoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA - X Match Query
« on: Tuesday 13 July 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

On FTDNA, as a female matching with another female (48 cMs), what is the relevance of her NOT being an X match? Is this an indicator of the side of the family the match is for either of us?

Thanks in advance

Nikki
Appelboom; Goldschmidt; Dickens; Dewar; Gordon; Oudney; McGregor; Smyth

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - X Match Query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
I get confused about X matches too.  I was told an X match to a male meant you were connected down the female line but I have masses of X match males who do not share my direct maternal line and have a very varied selection of Haplogroup subclades. As they only carry MtDNA from their mother, they don't pass it on, I don't know whether you assume all those matches haplogroups form part of your DNA through unspecified generations of females?????
I can only assume that when you match to a female and don't have an X match to her, it's down the paternal lines but which one?  There are learning tools on FtDNA, maybe it's best to bite the bullet and take notes.  I will have to do that too.
I did Y700 via my brother after finding out my paternal line had a break in it at 1801 due to a widow having an illegitimate child, we had no connection to the name I was brought up with.  I have a female non X match who is 66 cm and her mother had the maiden name of my brothers two closest Y700 matches, different clade to him but in the same one as each other.  I still can't figure out the connection though, partly because the surname is of all things 'Smith', 4th generation once removed (she is 20 years older) may get us to 1801???  Perhaps you should look to see what generation she would have to be at, there are charts on line for guidance.  If she has a family tree and can tell you all the names in it there could be a common one to you both.
My Heritage, group people into clusters of shared ancestry.  That could be useful in this case because any male matches may have a name you recognise.
I think people who are good at this must watch a lot of video's and take notes, probably well worth the time and effort.   

Offline TheScoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy

Thanks for your very informative response, which I will consider and use to approach my matches in future. Very helpful. In this particular case, I did contact the match who has given me a good clue in some areas but not others. The match is an adoptee, and that is something I suspected. And, she matches on my mother's paternal line which makes sense after what you wrote. But how we connect to each other is the mystery yet to be solved. I believe I need to look t 3rd Generation and likely a half match. Ironically, she matches with my father's side too. I know this can happen but it's a first for me! The DNA match I have with her is relevant to my mothers side though.
Interestingly, I have a grandparental illegitimacy to solve, name also Smith (Scotland). Sigh!

Good luck with your own matching.

Kind regards

Nikki
Appelboom; Goldschmidt; Dickens; Dewar; Gordon; Oudney; McGregor; Smyth

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy

Thanks for your very informative response, which I will consider and use to approach my matches in future. Very helpful. In this particular case, I did contact the match who has given me a good clue in some areas but not others. The match is an adoptee, and that is something I suspected. And, she matches on my mother's paternal line which makes sense after what you wrote. But how we connect to each other is the mystery yet to be solved. I believe I need to look t 3rd Generation and likely a half match. Ironically, she matches with my father's side too. I know this can happen but it's a first for me! The DNA match I have with her is relevant to my mothers side though.
Interestingly, I have a grandparental illegitimacy to solve, name also Smith (Scotland). Sigh!

Good luck with your own matching.

Kind regards

Nikki

Goodness, yes I have plenty of matches where names appear on both sides of the tree.  None too close but brothers marrying sisters, cousins on one side marrying cousins on the other...that sort of thing.
I do think that's a bit mind blowing to have an adoptee matching both sides of the family though and yet people lived in much tighter communities.
I was told there was a Scottish link on my paternal line and I have yet to find it, it could be the Smith because it's a common enough name there too.